Reverse mono-vision with contacts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobzilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I wear contact lenses with the right, dominant eye corrected for distance and the left eye for close-up work.

The other day, I accidentally switched the lenses around and was pleasantly surprised that I could see the primary gauge on my right arm easily with the right eye. Driving home with the lenses switched was as easy as the 'normal' way. (The switch worked, because both eyes have nearly the same near-sightedness and astigmatism)

I tried the reversed mono-vision with the dominant eye for close-up in the office and on the shooting range (right-handed pistol) and in both cases it was easier than having the dominant eye corrected for distance.

Is there any contra-indication for having the dominant eye corrected for near and the non-dominant eye for far?

Last edited:
You might possibly suffer some eyestrain or there could be corneal issues if you have hard contacts and your corneas are radically different curvatures.

It would be a good idea to explore this issue with your ophthalmologist or optometrist. It may be time for a new prescription.

You might possibly suffer some eyestrain or there could be corneal issues if you have hard contacts and your corneas are radically different curvatures.

It would be a good idea to explore this issue with your ophthalmologist or optometrist. It may be time for a new prescription.

I would, of course, ask my eye doctor to prescribe the correct lenses. The question was whether correcting the dominant eye for close-up has been successfully done by someone, somewhere.

Is there any contra-indication for having the dominant eye corrected for near and the non-dominant eye for far?

No.

The distance Rx contact lens is usually placed on the dominant eye during the trial lens fitting process but there are times when it works better with the non dominent eye fit for distance, one obvious situation would be when the non dominent eye has better visual acuity and the patient's task load is more geared towards distance vision.

It has been my experience that sometimes patients with nearly equal prescriptions between their eyes have subsequently found out for themselves that switching the lenses works out better for them.

Keep in mind that a recent well controlled study of reverse monovision patients found a decrease in life expectancy of about 10 years with an error margin of plus or minus one year. But who wants to live to 100 anyway?

Just kidding

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom