Reverse kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an easier time backing up using my Turtle fins instead of Jet fins, I don't know why. Maybe Turtles have a wider side panel?
I struggled for years trying to figure out how to back kick, I never had anybody around in my remote part of the world to show me or tell me what I was doing wrong. Then one day it just happened. I don’t know what I did right but it works. I still don’t know if I’m doing it right but I can do it so good enough for me.

There are a few ways to tackle this pig. My feeling was that if I felt my forward frog on the bottom tips of my toes, then I should feel the "baccards" frog kick on the top tips of my toes.

This is a great tip...I was struggling to figure this kick out and by focusing on the sensation on the "top tips of my toes" I was able to get it down at my club's weekly pool session last Thursday night and put the technique to great use on a dive in a quarry yesterday morning.

two other great tips that I got from this thread that really helped me solidify this technique were to start learning by doing the kick without fins (see video in post #13 by @АлександрД) ...it was surprisingly helpful to get the basic leg movement down, especially the extension phase which is easy to get wrong, and the video in post #9 of this thread by @Macan , particularly from the 2min mark through the end of the video.

Thank you thank you thank you!

-Z

This is a great tip...I was struggling to figure this kick out and by focusing on the sensation on the "top tips of my toes" I was able to get it down at my club's weekly pool session last Thursday night and put the technique to great use on a dive in a quarry yesterday morning.

two other great tips that I got from this thread that really helped me solidify this technique were to start learning by doing the kick without fins (see video in post #13 by @АлександрД) ...it was surprisingly helpful to get the basic leg movement down, especially the extension phase which is easy to get wrong, and the video in post #9 of this thread by @Macan , particularly from the 2min mark through the end of the video.

Thank you thank you thank you!

-Z
I can’t wait to try after I finish my rescue classes now :)

So I did a bit of reverse finning practice while waiting for my turn during my rescue class yesterday.

Thanks to all the tips here I think I could manage to move a bit backwards even with the club fins which are soft.

My main mistakes were that:
  • I was trying to incline too much the fin, listening to people telling to use the tip of the fin helped greatly
  • I didn’t focus enough on finishing the stroke with knees bent and the feet upwards, i.e. a more circular movement
I’ll continue to practice until I am decent with this movement.

what really helped me out when practising the back kick, is the instructor grabbing my fins while diving and making the movement for me.

I did a BP/w try-out prior to gue fundamentals in the swimming pool. In just like 40 to 50 min the instructor managed to get me in a horizontal trim, teached me how to do a frogkick and a backick. Ofcourse it wasn't all perfect, and it was a struggle to keep balance/trim.
I think a good instructor pays off for this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom