Reverberating Noise When Breathing In on Aqualung Kronos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougchartier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone had issue where there is a consistent reverberating sound whenever you breath in on an Aqualung Kronos?

Here's my story. A bought an Aqualung Kronos (regular, not the Supreme) a couple months ago. It worked fine in the pool, but when I took it for my first open water dive (nothing serious -- max depth 40'), there was a consistent reverberating noise whenever I breathed in. There was no unusual noise on the exhale, and the reg otherwise seemed to perform fine. I think the sound was coming from the second stage, but I can't be certain.

My LDS took my reg apart and everything checked out. They were, however, able to reproduce the noise in the pool. They had no explanation, so they sent it back to Aqualung for a replacement.

Several weeks later, Aqualung sent me a replacement Kronos (note that I'm *assuming* they actually gave me a different reg) and offered no explanation for the noise. In the pool, I couldn't replicate the sound. Today I took it into open water for the first time (again, nothing serious -- 30' max depth). On my first dive, it worked like a charm; on my second, the reverberating noise came back, although toward the end of that dive it was more attenuated and eventually disappeared.

I've informed my LDS and they are, again, at a loss for any explanation. We are, of course, skeptical that two different regs would exhibit the same manufacturing defect (again, I'm assuming Aqualung sent me a different reg). One explanation is that it is a design defect/"feature." The sound is mostly annoying, so I'm considering sending it back and having Aqualung replace it with a different model reg.

Has anyone else had this problem, or have any idea what the issue may be? And if Aqualung will replace my reg with a different Aqualung model, do you have any recommendations for a replacement? I've been told that the Legend is a good model with better performance

Thanks in advance!

Doug

My Legend Glacia makes a similar noise when inhaling above the surface.It stops as soon as I submerge.My LDS,a qualified service center with many years of experience,assures me it is nothing to worry about.
I've never experienced this noise while submerged so it may be different from your situation.
Other than the pre-dive noise,I'm quite pleased with the Legend.
If you have the serial # from the original reg you can tell if they sent you a different reg or not.

I also have the regular Kronos, and it makes the same noise. It's been apart for servicing, and nothing seems wrong. I've been diving on it for 2 years now, and had it down to around 90' or so, and it's always breathed fine.

My Legend Glacia makes a similar noise when inhaling above the surface.It stops as soon as I submerge.My LDS,a qualified service center with many years of experience,assures me it is nothing to worry about.
I've never experienced this noise while submerged so it may be different from your situation.
Other than the pre-dive noise,I'm quite pleased with the Legend.
If you have the serial # from the original reg you can tell if they sent you a different reg or not.

Mine occurs while submerged; I don't believe it happens on the surface (at least I haven't noticed it).

Good point on the serial #, and I (conveniently) had the same thought after I had it sent back!

Thanks.

I also have the regular Kronos, and it makes the same noise. It's been apart for servicing, and nothing seems wrong. I've been diving on it for 2 years now, and had it down to around 90' or so, and it's always breathed fine.

Thanks for letting me know. I also think it's unlikely to be a safety problem, it's just really irritating, particularly given how much money you pay for that thing.

Do you, or your dive shop, have any theories as to what might be causing the sound? Could the side exhaust system be causing some sort of problem (despite that the noise only occurs during the inhale)?

Honestly, I have no idea. The shop didn't either.

I've kind of tuned it out at this point, though occasionally it starts to bother me. Maybe I should see if it still does it at different angles, i.e. upside down or exhaust side up...

What would you do if your car made a funny noise when you drove it?

It may breath OK, it may be perfectly safe, it is still not right.

If it has the DVT ask the service tech. take it out and see if it makes the same sound. They were really loud when they first came out. A new FEATURE to add more money and keep knot heads from dunking the reg. without the dust cap in place. Not really anything to make the reg. work better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom