Returning to diving after open heart surgery for SV ASD...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

epires

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone returned to diving after having a Sinus Venosus ASD repaired with open heart surgery??

I unknowingly dove for 2 years with this condition until experiencing sudden onset of sympotms on a return flight from diving in Madeira, Portugal. After a battery of tests I was diagnosed and had open heart surgery 4.5 mo ago to correct it. I have recovered beautifully, no medications, and have returned to my previous extremely active lifestyle symptom free!! My cardiothoracic surgeon and cardiologist assured me at every appointment I could return to diving as soon as I was cleared for normal activity ("absolutely", "no problem!", "no reason why you can't"). However, when asked last week to sign the PADI medical statement, I was told not yes or no, but "little research", "no experience", and "cannot guarantee"... Now, along with being furious at being given unqualified advice, I'm back to the ultimate question: Can I dive?? It's a huge part of who I am. I can't seem to find much on the internet. I've made an appointment with a cardiologist in FL recommended to me by DAN next week. I have much hope that he can give me a real answer, but I'd really like to know if there's anyone out there that has shared this experience that can offer advice. "Find another hobby" just isn't going to cut it.

Please help!

Hi epires,

The answer depends a lot on some information that you haven't provided including your age, other underlying medical conditions, size of the defect, post-repair echo findings, and overall level of physical fitness.

In general, if you're otherwise healthy, in good physical condition with normal cardiac ouptut and reasonable exercise tolerance, and have recovered completely, it should be safe to return to diving. It's true that there isn't a whole lot of research, but it's not true that there's "no experience" with returning to diving after ASD or PFO repair. It can be done safely, but you definitely need to be examined in person before an individual recommendation can be made.

You've listed your location as South Carolina; if that's where you are, there are people a lot closer than Florida who can examine you and provide recommendations for returning to diving. We may actually be the closest facility to you, and one of our hyperbaric fellows is an attending cardiothoracic surgeon with experience in ASD repair. If not, there's Palmetto-Richland in Columbia, Spartanburg Regional in Spartanburg, McLeod Regional in Florence, and Roper in Charleston, all of which have hyperbaric facilities with physicians who can examine divers.

If you'd like to come here or would like a referral to one of the above listed facilities, please PM me.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you, Duke Dive Medicine!

As a tech diver/instructor cardiologist who closes ASDs & PFOs as a part of my job, I agree completely with Duke Dive Medicine. Assuming you have had a good repair with no residual shunting, you should be able to return to diving with no restrictions whatsoever. However, the final answer should not come from the internet, but from being examined by a physician who is knowledgeable about both congenital heart disease and diving medicine.

Doug

BTW, do I happen to be that "Florida cardiologist" that DAN recommended? :)

Hi Dr. Ebersole! Yes, you are lol. I just pm-ed you about that :)

I had open heart surgery on February 28th of this year and just got cleared to return to diving this past Friday. I know everyone is different...

excellent news. I just had open heart surgery (triple bypass) and wondered if my diving days were done. In Utah I will have to look long and hard to find a doctor with scuba medicine expertise but I now have hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom