Returning masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I went to my LDS and tried on a bunch of masks and there were two that seemed to fit ok (according to the shop guy), a scuba pro and the atomic frameless. I tried 3 dives with the atomic and it just leaked like a sieve from the forehead. At first it seemed to be some sort of weird waving continuous thing, I can hardly begin to describe it. I tightened it down more and then it would leak over my right eye and drop a big fat drop of sea water seemingly directly into my eye that would burn and burn. Thank goodness I had my old mask. The atomic was as comfortable as a slipper, but it hated my forehead. Not to mention my nose was sitting in water the whole time no matter how often I cleared it.

I will, of course, ask them -- but I don't know what the standard procedure is or what I should expect? I'd like to try another mask from them, maybe the scuba pro.

Do those super soft masks just not seal as well? I'm going to be bummed.

More often than not, tightening is exactly the WRONG thing to do if a mask leaks. In fact a mask strap being too tight is often the CAUSE of it leaking.

The mask strap is really just to keep the mask from falling off your head. Don't jack it down tight; you'll might just find it fits fine.

I guess I should have added I started out with it REALLY loose and overall had much less mask ring than my old mask (which isn't too bad as it was), so I don't think it was an adjustment problem. So, please stick to the original question.

My old mask is pretty old, stiff and clear and now that I do photography I'd like a black one.

I guess I should have added I started out with it REALLY loose and overall had much less mask ring than my old mask (which isn't too bad as it was), so I don't think it was an adjustment problem. So, please stick to the original question.

My old mask is pretty old, stiff and clear and now that I do photography I'd like a black one.

You can probably get 4 of these for the price of one black Scubapro mask. Why don't you give them a call.

ScubaMax MK153 Frameless Mask

It probably did not fit your face.
The strap has no bearing on the fit of a mask.
Set the mask on your face (don't inhale)
Look in a mirror
The inner seal on the skirt shoud contact skin all the way around
It should not run through eye brows or the corner of the eyes
Make sure the frame does not hit you between the eyes, and the nose pocket is comfortable.
If the mask does not fit these rules then put it back. It will not work well no matter how much you like the color or marketing campaign.

Compare only 2 masks at a time. Hold on to the better fitting one, grab another and compare the two of them. Repeat until you find the one. By restricting the decision making process to 2 at a time makes the choices easier, and faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom