Returning diver; questions about full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all! I haven't been diving in quite a few years, and I've outgrown (mostly around the middle) my old gear and will need to replace it.

One of the things I'm considering is going with a full face mask - I hate cottonmouth and the cold, and the increased field of view they offer looks nice. The ability to talk underwater would be nice too, but not an immediate concern.

I know a few of the cons of them: I'll need to carry a spare mask and snorkel when the unexpected happens, fogging, my air use will increase, and they can be a pain to don underwater (and possibly clear depending on who I ask and what kind they have).

I apologize if I'm opening a can of worms with regards to brand loyalty, but unfortunately I'm torn between which one to get, or if I should get one at all. At first glance the Neptune Space ones look nice, but I've had several local divers recommend the OTS Guardian. On here I've seen a lot of people recommend the Kirby Morgan (the Exo-BR looks nice). I can't seem to find any unbiased reviews on them either. The sizing on the Neptune Space ones is something of a mystery to me as well; I don't know whether I'm a small/medium or a medium/large (I measured the circumference of my head at the temples and it was about 24"; this was done with a plain old metal tape so it may be off a bit).

Most of the diving I do is shallow shore based stuff, though I would like to continue on with my certifications (PADI open water currently) and eventually get into technical diving.

Can anyone shed some light on my choices for FFMs?

Of the ones you've mentioned I've only had chance to use the Neptune Space. I can say that I've never noticed my air consumption change in the least and I've never had a fogging issue with it, although I use defog on it prior to each use. It's extremely comfortable, offers a fantastic field of view and I've never experienced any more leakage issue with it than I have any other regular dive mask.

It's easy to put on and take off and I especially like the way it secures just under the chin a bit to keep it from riding up.

I haven't yet used the Buddy Phone with it, but have a couple friends (husband/wife) who use it constantly and really enjoy it. I think they talk to each other more under water than above!

I have used the OTS, as well as an AGA model.

I do not notice any difference in SAC unless I am talking, which proves my wife is correct (but don't tell her) about my being full of, well, I digress. As long as you get a seal your SAC should be the same.

Fogging is not an issue since they are positive pressure.

I don't think I would ever buy one unless I really needed it for something, they are pretty pricey.

Ok, here we go!

The EXO-26 was never designed to be a scuba mask, and does not lend it self well to recreational scuba use.

As you stated, with the OTS Gardian, the Interspero AGA, the Cressi, the EXO-26 and the Neptune you will have to remove the whole mask to use an alternate breathing gas source as most recreational scuba divers have been trained. With most of these you also have to remove the whole mask to breath on the surface or talk to someone when you are on the surface.

Another con is that you have to use the regulator that the mask comes with, except for the Cressi, it has no regulator. This increases the overall cost of the mask.

I always recommend the Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask because the design of the mask answers all of the full face mask issues you have brought up Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | Full Face Masks | M-48

It might not be apparent from pictures, but it has a removable regulator pod on the front which allows for gas switching, use of a recreational scuba alternate gas source like an octo and it allows for brething/talking on the surface without removing the mask. It is also a lot lighter than it looks (probably half the weight of an EXO-26). It has a lower volume than the AGA, OTS or the Neptune so you don't have to add lead to your weight belt to compensate.

When I was diving at the aquarium the people with small faces perferred the AGA mask and everyone else used the M-48.

The only issue that it does not address by design is fogging of the mask lenses. Because it is similar to a standard scuba mask, any defog or a little spit works just fine.

I have used the interspiro AGA quite successfully. Try as I might, I have never been able to make it fog. I installed a switch into the system to allow me access to an alternative air supply (13 cf pony). I also use it with a PTT buddy phone.

Once you dive cold water with a FFM you will not be happy with the more standard mask and regulator system. It is so much more comfortable. I use less air with it than the standard

I have reached the point where I am done diving so I am planning to sell the complete system soon. After

I personal Like the kirby morgan exo-26br it is a little heavy out of the water but quite fine in the water. I has a well tuned balanced regulator that can be adjusted in the the water to allow for changes in supply pressure. This eases breathing resistance through out you dive. The only disadvantages of this mask is the cost and availability of qualified service tecs is little prohibitive but it is still cheaper to service this mask then the AGA mk20. The aga is a good mask but a depths below 60ft there is a notable resistance in breathing that is why the US Navy only allows use of this mask to 60ft were the exo can be used over 200ft. I know a lot of public safety diving organizations prefer the AGA that is do to the positive pressure feature available for diving in HAZMAT environments. I have never dove that OTS guardian or any other recreational full face diving masks.

One point is you need to be trained in the operation of what ever mask you chose. You need to be confident that you can remove the mask in the water and put on a standard scuba regulator and mask in the event of an emergency. There are Manifold/Switch block on the market that you can hook a bail out to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom