Returned from Fantasy Island Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD, I don't know who's adding 20% credit card fee, but I suspect it must be someone else on the island. I have always used my credit card to settle up at the end of every trip at Fantasy Island...they have never added anything. On the other hand, your credit card company will tack on a percentage for international usage...that's why I use one that only charges 1% when I go out of the country - I haven't found one yet that's free :eyebrow:
Oh really?! :shocked2: I've never noticed a bank fee for using mine in Mexico? Eh, I use it so little, maybe I just missed it. I'll have to ask...???

I'm more likely to waive greenbacks in the air and dicker on prices with cash expected. They let me think I won sometimes. :silly:
Most of the time we could find something we liked eating. Breakfast was consistent and good. I'm not a pasta eater and they had it available for lunch and dinner most days. The wife seemed to like it just fine so it wasn't like we went hungry. The food was very plentiful but I'm pretty much a meat and potato's kind of guy and the meats were ok at best. :cool2:

Several of us went to the West End 1 evening to buy a few gifts & t-shirts. We also did the shark dive and some people had to charge it. I guess I should have said "up to 20%" because some places didn't get that high. I can't remember what the FI gift shop added because we took plenty of cash and didn't need to charge things.
Ah, ok - got it. I'm really not much of a shopper there, or at least not the two times I've been. I have one or two Ts from there maybe, and only done an off site excursion once - a freebie after they screwed up my room res the first night. Three of us guys had private rooms booked but the young lady messed up and has us all in one room. :shocked2: They tried to get us to bunk together for one night, or get me to go to another resort for one night but I was not in the mood for either. They found me a cottage on the cay somehow for the night and gave me a free outing. Now that I think about how much I paid for a private room, I think that should have been two outings, but anyway - caca happens. I saw the young lady some years later at DEMA and we had a good laugh. Cute young thing; bet she's long gone back to Spain tho. :depressed:

All Inclusive food can get so boring anywhere I know, and again their operating budgets are tied to their advertised cheap prices, too. I'll still eat twice as much in a week there as I do at home. Thank gawd for a body's set-point or I'd be in trouble wearing the same size pants home. Still, the routine can be a little boring unless one finds a way to make it otherwise.

[c]
train-1.gif
[/c]

Last edited:
Most of the time we could find something we liked eating. Breakfast was consistent and good. I'm not a pasta eater and they had it available for lunch and dinner most days. The wife seemed to like it just fine so it wasn't like we went hungry. The food was very plentiful but I'm pretty much a meat and potato's kind of guy and the meats were ok at best. :cool2:

Several of us went to the West End 1 evening to buy a few gifts & t-shirts. We also did the shark dive and some people had to charge it. I guess I should have said "up to 20%" because some places didn't get that high. I can't remember what the FI gift shop added because we took plenty of cash and didn't need to charge things.

I can answer that one...the FI gift shop didn't add anything. If there was a fee, it was from the credit card company - I do it all the time :wink:

What were they charging during that special? Looks like they brought the 2-for-1 special back: Specials, Fantasy Island Resort, Diving and Promotions | Privilege Hotels

How can they provide room, board, alcoholic beverages, ground transfer to & from airport and West End, and diving for 2 for $979 for a week? That's under $70 each/day!

What were they charging during that special? Looks like they brought the 2-for-1 special back: Specials, Fantasy Island Resort, Diving and Promotions | Privilege Hotels

How can they provide room, board, alcoholic beverages, ground transfer to & from airport and West End, and diving for 2 for $979 for a week? That's under $70 each/day!

That was the special through Dec. 26th...I think it's a little late to take advantage of that one! I received an e-mail today that showed they are running a "Dive 4 Free" special. If you book by the end of February you can purchase a dive package for the price of a beach package for travel through the end of June. (It said as low as $699 per person)

That was the special through Dec. 26th...I think it's a little late to take advantage of that one! I received an e-mail today that showed they are running a "Dive 4 Free" special. If you book by the end of February you can purchase a dive package for the price of a beach package for travel through the end of June. (It said as low as $699 per person)
Take a look at that link and see if I am misreading again, but it looks like book now, then go: "There has never been a better time to book your dive or leisure trip to Fantasy Island! If you book before December 28, 2009 the 2nd person stays for free. See rates, package details and reservation information below."

Whatever, they have been running such cheap rates, got to wonder how they can feed more than peanut butter.

Take a look at that link and see if I am misreading again, but it looks like book now, then go: "There has never been a better time to book your dive or leisure trip to Fantasy Island! If you book before December 28, 2009 the 2nd person stays for free. See rates, package details and reservation information below."

Whatever, they have been running such cheap rates, got to wonder how they can feed more than peanut butter.

Maybe you're right...I assumed since I received the "Dive 4 Free" promotion today it was replacing the 2 for 1 special. I know it has been an awful year for tourism on the island and many of the resorts are running promotions to get divers back to the island. We took advantage of a 2 for 1 at Anthony's Key in October...it was a great deal :wink:

Maybe you're right...I assumed since I received the "Dive 4 Free" promotion today it was replacing the 2 for 1 special. I know it has been an awful year for tourism on the island and many of the resorts are running promotions to get divers back to the island. We took advantage of a 2 for 1 at Anthony's Key in October...it was a great deal :wink:
So sorry! Website was out of date.
Bummer​
I filed a complaint.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would have been a good deal. They usually offer a pretty good package during the rainy season..

Back
Top Bottom