Return to the Amazon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last Wednesday night we saw the Premiere of “Return to the Amazon” on PBS Jean-Michel Cousteau : Ocean Adventures | PBS
This was a great night for me for many reasons:
1. I was the Chief Diver of the television Special
2. Bob Evans of Force Fin was sitting in front of me and I was diving his fins in the show.
3.I was at Ocean Futures Society head quarters with Jean Michel Cousteau and most of the OFS expedition team.
It was a great night of catching up with team members and supporters with high spirits and special acknowledgements that only come after a successful project is complete.
I had spent a total of six months on two separate trips in the Amazon region and this night was my first chance to see what the PBS special Jean Michel Cousteau Ocean Adventure - Return to the Amazon looked and sounded like on television.

Our expedition into the Amazon was incredible! We visited three out of the nine countries that the South American Amazon region covers and had a chance to witness the beauty and destruction of the lungs of the planet both from above and below the water. The river system and its surrounding jungle is so thick with insects, animals and water that it would take much longer than six months to really understand and see it all, but with a large team we covered a lot of ground. We even had three different teams in three different locations at a time and the two part PBS special Return to the Amazon shows it all.

I had a chance to dive in different areas and different rivers of the Amazon. Come to think of it Fabien Cousteau ABOUT Dive Equipment myself are some of the few who have dove in two rivers during the same dive. There is a section of the Amazon where two rivers meet. They actually run parallel to each other and for two days Fabien and I braved the waters by diving from one river into the other. It really is almost like going swimming from coffee with no cream or milk into coffee mixed with cream or milk. The Rio Solimoes and the Rio Negro rivers running parallel to each other was a dive I will not forget. This was an open water dive with no bottom. Both of us chose the OPS Force Fin Dive Equipment Force Fins In other areas I used the Excellerating Force Fin as written in another post, Underwater Amazon http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/force-fin/200084-underwater-amazon.html
This Wednesday April 9th at 8pm PBS will be showing the second part of Jean-Michel Cousteau Ocean Adventures Return to the Amazon so tune in and gear up for another adventure in learning about this interesting place in South America. If you think it is too far away to effect you where you live, think again we are all connected, Return to the Amazon.

Blair, it was cool to see you in the show and the Amazon looks incredible. Its too bad that in our infinate wisdom we are managing to destroy it. Can't wait till tomorrow evening to watch part 2.

Loved the show and even managed to recognize you!

I just watched that show on PBS Las Vegas with my dad, yesterday and I must have to admit that it had some valid points there and brought up new concerns to me. I guess that was what the whole intention of that show was intended for. Examples, like the Amazon makes up about 20 percent of the Earth's oxygen, that is alot! Also, how diseases are widespread and poaching is so abundant, there.

Blair, was indeed in it, he looks exactly what is on his avatar. In the beginning and then I am sure when the camera was on aerial view with Fabian Cousteau and Blair Mott on a zodiac boat. It was crazy and looks like that there wwere dark parts and murky water also the viz was only but a foot in front of them because of the soil erosion and what not i believe caused by logging and the dams put up.

Does anyone know whern there will be more of Cousteau's series will be coming out?

Congratulations! I thought I recognized your name. I've worked on-and-off with Jean-Michel, Don, Murph, Pam and others since the mid 70's... including the 1986 episode on The Channel Islands in the TBS Rediscovery of the World series. They are a fun group of folks to explore with. Back in 1982 (83?) I attended the old Los Angeles office Christmas party and watched hours of 35mm slides of the first Amazon expedition with JMC and Murph. The way the insects mutilated Murph's arms convinced me I had no desire to go down there!

castanagajt
Thanks for the insight and support!! I am glad it made you think! The first episode a week before had a lot more diving in the show so hopefully they will show it again. I think the next show will be July or September? I will do my best to keep you posted on the dates. Good eye on the Ariel shot of the boat and the meeting of the rivers!
Safe Diving

its too bad their wasn't more U/W video, but I understand that there is not a whole lot of it worth TV time. In this case the story is above water anyway, I love to see these shows and just wish more people knew about and supported your incredible mission.

Back
Top Bottom