Retrofitting Drysuit Suspenders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrep1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I bought a used Viking 90x drysuit a few months ago and I was thinking of adding suspenders. Seems like an easy project.

I went to a dive shop today to see how much were the tabs to attach the suspenders: 80$ parts, 200$ installed.

Seems a liitle bit too much for me. So I was wondering if anyone had done this themselves, maybe on a vulcanized rubber drysuit ?

I am wondering what kind of material is used for the tabs, where to get them and if there is a special procedure to glue the tabs to the inside fo the drysuit. The glue I have is used to vulcanize, I'm not sure it would work on the inside which is covered in fabric (nylon or polyester, I'm not sure)

Maybe a 4 pieces of neoprene would do the job ?

Andre

andrep1:
Hi,

I bought a used Viking 90x drysuit a few months ago and I was thinking of adding suspenders. Seems like an easy project.

I went to a dive shop today to see how much were the tabs to attach the suspenders: 80$ parts, 200$ installed.

Seems a liitle bit too much for me. So I was wondering if anyone had done this themselves, maybe on a vulcanized rubber drysuit ?

I am wondering what kind of material is used for the tabs, where to get them and if there is a special procedure to glue the tabs to the inside fo the drysuit. The glue I have is used to vulcanize, I'm not sure it would work on the inside which is covered in fabric (nylon or polyester, I'm not sure)

Maybe a 4 pieces of neoprene would do the job ?

Andre

You might send this to Bob3 and see what he says. As a Viking Dealer, and a commercial diver, he has probably done this and can provide some insight...

Good Luck with your project!

I have thought about doing the same for my Bare Nex-Gen. Suspender would be nice. It doesn't seem like it could be that difficult to do what you want for <$30.

Hmmm ... my book sez $48 retail on the suspenders. (USD)
The tabs are 1" wide, front ones have velcro, back are plain vulcanized rubber material. They're stitched to a 4" diameter disc to help spread out the load.
Gluing on the 4 tabs isn't a big deal, rubber cement works on the tabs, or you can use AquaSeal & spike it w/Cotol.
Not hardly a $200 job, gluing on 4 patches.
Vikings "new" suits all come with suspenders now. (have been for quite a while)

Thanks for coming to my rescue, again...

Just to give you an idea of the price difference, 80 C$ was for the TABS only... So the 200$ only got me the four tabs installed!

Apparently, the distributor was making them instead of ordering them.

I fired off an email to Viking to see if they have the tabs available, they're not listed in the pricelist.

You might want to check with Gary from http://www.technicaldivingops.com
If he can't fix you up, he can probably steer you in a helpful direction.
He's a no BS kind of guy & won't lead you around.

nurseling:
Any thoguhts on where to purchase the suspender and patches for this job
Just saw some on EBAY this morning - a kit minus glue. It from the UK and they called them "braces", but it include the suspenders and the tabs.

Also, I've had great luck with dry suit problem fixes with Superior Dive Repair.
Mark Owens runs it at www.drysuitrepair.com

nurseling:
Any thoguhts on where to purchase the suspender and patches for this job
You may want to consider contacting Superior Diving Repair

They do all makes and models.

He added suspenders to my buddy's suit a couple of years ago and did a nice job... in fact, every repair, modification, or replacement he's down for us has been good and prices reasonable.

Give him a shout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom