retractors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Do the cable retractors work good long term or do the springs rust out soon? These items are clipped to a BC and used to retract consoles and accessories and pull out and retract like a tape measures.

Thanks

I have one on my BC to hold my console in place. The internals are plastic/stainless steel, and the wire is plastic/teflon coated stainless. A website to look at is www.gearkeeper.com They have some specifically for consoles (shorter, "heavier" pull" and lighter ones that could be used for slates.

Mine sometimes tangles in other stuff (deflator hose)while I gear up, but I've taken to unclipping it from the BC first. Underwater it's fine - just holds the console up and out of the way. (I'm in the process of looking at and removing "danglies", and working with a 7'hose!)

I use the cable retractors which are great but, one thing to be aware of. I don't know if this has happened to others as well?

I was doing a shallow dive (luckily) and at one point during the dive my cable got stuck around one of my weight pockets on my BC. As I grabbed my gauges to have a look, (what I didn't know was the cable was tangled to my weight pocket) and pulled my weight pocket out of the BC. I had a great buddy that happened to be right there. He grabbed me with one hand picked up the pocket off the floor with the other hand and handed it to me. It could have been a distaster had we been doing a deep dive.

I'm now very aware of that cable!

I've used a Cetacea for over 5 yrs. now to retract my console. No signs of rusting that I can see - and it's only used in Salt water. I like it. Mine also has a lockout that can be used at any length, it's handy when you're hanging on the line doing a safety stop. As Speedhound said, I've also learned to leave it unclipped while getting into my gear then clipping it to a D-ring to prevent getting tangled up.

I too use retractors--one for my console, the other for a secondary light. I just bought them last year, but so far they seem to be holding up just fine. I really like them.

They're designed for use underwater, and in the ocean. Rinse them well after every dive, and they'll last you quite a while. Not going to last a lifetime, but certainly long enough to get your money's worth, with reasonable care.

Well currently one anyway... To keep my console from dangling... Never had one wear out but the ones from Cetacea are fairly inexpensive so if it does wear out replacing it is no biggie... I like em!!!

Thanks for all the feedback and the unforeseen problems I didn't even think about.

I have some Gear Keepers, they are VERY well made. I smashed on on a boat with a LP72 and it didnt break...the attached light didnt do so well. The ones I have are about 2 or 3 years old and going fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom