Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a boat,a compressor and lease a commercial fishing permit.Now I don't have wait til retirement,I dive 8 to 10 months a year.Can travel from Keys to N Carolina and still get paid.As I age,I still have income from crew when i start to dive less daily.I have friends in their 70s and 80s who have done it for 40 to 50 years or more.

Three things... I am on the cusp of retirement so this topic is near and dear to my heart..

(1) My second wife (and I am in Canada, which is likely relevant) is a school Principal. With an awesome pension. You may want to reconsider your choice of spouse. Screw love, marry for money. :)

(2) The people who told you to start saving decades ago, weren't wrong. You should have listened. My pension earned three times what my job paid last year. It's like having a tribe of peons shovelling money into my bank account, so yay me.

(3) The serious one... Mrs. Stoo and I talk about this a LOT. Retiring in a place where we can dive our faces off every day, mostly requires "cohones". You just have to do your research and then "do it"...

A few years ago, my son was travelling and ended up in Bali. He doesn't dive, but he emailed and he said "Dad, you would LOVE it here... amazing diving, fantastic food, friendly people... and dirt cheap". So that got me Googling...

I came across a blog, kept by a couple from the Chicago area. Their life seemed similar to mine... solidly middle class, a house, a cottage, some pension etc. They had gone to Bali on vacation and loved the place. Like all of us, they decided that they would move there one day. Only they meant it...

So in a nutshell, they sold their cottage and put their house up for rent. They took the cottage money and bought a small tract of waterfront property in Bali, hired some locals and built a modest home, and three even more modest guest homes that they intended to rent. Because they were going to be operating a business, and hiring some locals to work there, they easily qualified for residency.

They moved there and their little business provided enough income that they didn't need to tap into savings. They dove often and made lots of "local" dive trips to the places we North Americans dream of.

They intended to stay there as long as (a) it was still fun, (b) they didn't require significant health care. When they were ready to come back, they'd simply email the tenants in their home and then move back. They'd simply pick up where they left off.

That was maybe three years ago I read that. Since then, I have tried to find the flaw in the plan, and I haven't found it yet.

See... just balls to do it, and some careful planning.

So dive while you can, don’t leave it until you retire and don’t waste money on get rich quick books or schemes.

In all honesty, I doubt the book I posted is a get rich quick scheme. It’s a reputable publisher (Certified Professional Accountants of Canada). It will tell me in overview fashion how to plan for retirement when I don’t have many years left - I assume that will necessitate some aggressive saving and crazy discipline. It will also go over what government programs I should partake now and what I will be eligible for after retirement, etc.

Three things... I am on the cusp of retirement so this topic is near and dear to my heart..

(1) My second wife (and I am in Canada, which is likely relevant) is a school Principal. With an awesome pension. You may want to reconsider your choice of spouse. Screw love, marry for money. :)
(.

My girlfriend is a retired school principal :) In my case, however, love is definitely involved.

She also had half a million SW points when I met her :D I have been teaching her how to use them. :wink:

My girlfriend is a retired school principal :) In my case, however, love is definitely involved.

She also had half a million SW points when I met her :D I have been teaching her how to use them. :wink:

Well ya... thinking of the OP, where she failed to plan ahead, she may need to compromise... ;-)

Some mistakes I made along the way:
  • Refused to get a job with a pension because “I don’t wanna work for the government!”
  • Didn’t find a husband with a pension
  • Didn’t marry for money - dang this one hurt!
  • Didn’t discover scuba early enough
:D My inflexibility as a younger person is coming back to haunt me now.

Ha--I was just going to write something similar:

Common themes I am detecting among these stories from people who were able to retire:
- pension
- sold a home

When I was young I was advised that government jobs don't pay well, and I'd be much better off in the private sector. Nobody mentioned anything about pensions and contrasted the satisfaction of receiving a fixed amount of money every month for the rest of one's life with the rollercoaster ride now known in the US as a 401k plan. Yeah, I know I can convert some of the 401k to an annuity, but until then, it's a white-knuckled ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom