Retirement plan to support my "habit"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking the same thing. CAD$167k was the price of a single detached working class family home in the “burbs” in early 1980s in my neck of the woods.

For the price of CAD400k today, we can buy a 500sqft condo in the “burbs”. Not even downtown Toronto.

And yet, our pay scale does not increase like our housing increases. Yes, we have a problem.

I moved here from California. That in itself gave me a huge opportunity to increase retirement savings.

I never had much of a salary but I was always frugal with everything except diving. I never go to the movies, restaurants or sporting events. I buy a new pair of jeans for under $15 when my current pair gets too tattered. I own two pair of shoes, one of them being sandals. I don't drink nor smoke. A big splurge for me is going to In-n-Out for a burger.

After the 2016 election the stock market shot upwards enough that my 401k from work reached a point that I could quit early and live meagerly until I get Social Security. I can't buy a rebreather or travel often but I can eat, pay bills and dive locally all I want. I have enough saved to dive in Canada, which I will be doing again in April. It sucks not being able to afford to buy whatever I want, but not as much as going to work at the same job every morning at 4:00 am for forty years did.

I never had much of a salary but I was always frugal with everything except diving. I never go to the movies, restaurants or sporting events. I buy a new pair of jeans for under $15 when my current pair gets too tattered. I own two pair of shoes, one of them being sandals. I don't drink nor smoke. A big splurge for me is going to In-n-Out for a burger.

After the 2016 election the stock market shot upwards enough that my 401k from work reached a point that I could quit early and live meagerly until I get Social Security. I can't buy a rebreather or travel often but I can eat, pay bills and dive locally all I want. I have enough saved to dive in Canada, which I will be doing again in April. It sucks not being able to afford to buy whatever I want, but not as much as going to work at the same job every morning at 4:00 am for forty years did.

I envy people who have such admirable discipline. I, for one, could not have lived that way.

I was thinking the same thing. CAD$167k was the price of a single detached working class family home in the “burbs” in early 1980s in my neck of the woods.

For the price of CAD400k today, we can buy a 500sqft condo in the “burbs”. Not even downtown Toronto.

And yet, our pay scale does not increase like our housing increases. Yes, we have a problem. Everyone’s house is their retirement plan.

And that massive disparity between the change in cost of living vs the change in income is a large part of the reason I chose to live in an average cost of living location. I could have taken a job in Southern California making 30% more, but it would have cost me 2-3x as much to live there, meaning I'd have had even less money leftover to enjoy my life after paying for the basics of life (food, shelter, utilities etc).

And that massive disparity between the change in cost of living vs the change in income is a large part of the reason I chose to live in an average cost of living location. I could have taken a job in Southern California making 30% more, but it would have cost me 2-3x as much to live there, meaning I'd have had even less money leftover to enjoy my life after paying for the basics of life (food, shelter, utilities etc).

I highly suspect (i.e., pretty sure) that that is a lot easier to do for Americans. There's a lot more liveable land in the US. And there are 50 states, many (most) of which have big cities with financial centres, meaning jobs. It's a HUUUGGE market.

In Canada, we have 10 provinces and 3 territories, and only 4 business centres (in my view): Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. Forget Vancouver - it is the 2nd least affordable housing market in the world, 2nd only to Hong Kong, according to one survey. Calgary's market goes up and down with the price of oil. Montreal - I don't speak French. Toronto - that's where I grew up, educated, worked, family lives. Most importantly, my line of work has the most opportunities in Toronto. If I sell my house after retirement and move somewhere less expensive, that'll give me a boost for sure, but at what expense?

I found this self-help book - it has my name written all over it. :D

1553859685.jpg

Last edited:
Hey it was in the 40's this morning! High where I am expected to be 56 burrrr. Some of us even have boots!

I even had to cover my tomato plant last night--we actually had FROST a few nights ago. Of course anywhere else the tomato plant would have been dead months ago :wink:

If I'm clever enough :wink: I could always do yours in reverse :) <*(((><

My only excuse is that my coffee hadn't kicked in yet--I didn't even notice that WAS the reverse.

That reminds me that I need to buy some "right" fish when on Cozumel. We already have some "left" fish on the wall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom