Retired Instructor out of action for 25 years, what's with the new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving has not changed all that dramatically in the last 25 years. For me, biggest changes were universal acceptance and availability of nitrox and the nearly universal use of the dive computer, both, very positive. I dive a 5 mm full wetsuit when visiting Hawaii, to remain warm during nice long dives, often several per day.

I still occasionally dive my Scubapro MK5/109 I bought in 1972 :)
Thanks for the input

@lowwall I think your write-up is great with the exception of your last comment. I don't think there are "many" divers who have switched to the octo on a necklace configuration. I think there are some, but the primary donate/octo necklace has not been widely adopted throughout the dive industry. I would even state that those of using it are in the minority.

OP:
Another change in the last 25 years (+/-)...ascent rate.....25 years ago the safe acceptable ascent rate was considered 60ft/min. That has been halved to 30ft/min by most agencies (PADI being one of the more prominent outliers). This is relatively moot when diving with a computer as many provide a visual ascent rate indicator to help keep the diver ascending at a safe speed.

When I started diving 25 years there was no discussion of depth limits for different certification levels other than the recreation diving depth limit of 130ft/40m.

Less likely to find a purge valve on the nose pocket...those seemed to be quite common about 20 years ago.

Semi-dry suits are something that have come in to existence in the last couple of decades (or less).

-Z
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply--internet issues in the boonies of North Kohala. Anyways good to know about ascent rate.

Well.... [deep breath]

There's been a race to the bottom for dive training while you were on hiatus. The trend was for shorter and shorter classes and the internet has accelerated that since the agencies allow the classroom portion to be done online, mostly by watching videos. All the practice with tables is gone and all snorkeling/freediving/swimming is gone except the swim test. The confined water dives are typically completed in 2-4 short sessions or even one long day and then the 4 open water dives.

This format obviously doesn't give students much time to ask questions or get more than minimally proficient. In response to issues with divers trained like this, many operators limit divers to 60' unless you have completed AOW or can show additional experience.

There are of course instructors and courses that go well beyond these minimums, but it seems like most aspiring divers today are looking for the fastest (and often cheapest) way to get certified so they can get some cool Instagram pics before they move on to the next activity.
Yes, seeing my husband's PADI online course was, let's go with "interesting."

Will be doing 1 dive to 30, maybe 50 ft. Just going to brush the dust off my tables for now. If travel and do a live-aboard, that will be different.

the regs haven't changed much. plastic is just cheaper to manufacture than chrome. mk10/g250 is functionally identical to the mk25/g260 they sell now. you can still get the conshelf 14, the civilian equivalent is now the titan classic. VDH has parts if you want to fix up a vintage reg instead of getting a new plastic one.

if you want a horsecollar, aropec has them. Navy Dive Horse Collar BCD

plastic backpacks from piranha. Backplate Accessories Piranha Dive Shop |

an argument could be made the modern bpw is derived from the backpack/seatec wing of the 70s.

dive computers are the one big change, no more tables for most divers these days.
Great info--thanks! Definitely will check out the links.

I can relate, I bailed on the instructor gig about 15 years ago, and have also taken a renewed interest in the last couple years (with a hankering to head down south again, at some point.)
During my run, I watched the proliferation of things like nitrox, (and tech diving in general), computers, integrated BC's (as well as the shift from calling them BCD's, LOL!).
Also, a few once well known companies have fallen by the wayside (Dacor,etc), while others have appeared or moved up and become more well known (Atomic, Zeagle,etc).
But, I still have kind of an old school view towards dive gear, preferring simple, tried-and-true designs, over the latest/greatest.
I owned wings/backplate BC's back when i was actively cave diving, but i still like (simple,economical) vest-style BC's for regular diving, even though they seem to be dismissed as kiddie toys around here :D. They're simple, cheap, and they work, nothing wrong with them at all.
As mentioned above, older regulators can still be quite solid ( and in some ways even better), and I'm still a fan of the older Sherwoods I used to use back in the day, and have snagged several minty-nice ones on ebay in the last couple years, and lots of guys here love the older Scubapros, Aqualungs, etc. A lot of solid old gear still floating around, and fairly cheap.
Lights (and batteries) are one thing that have truly leapt forward. What was once a big, premium, name-brand, state of the art light, is now almost considered junk.The new LED lights, and rechargeable batteries, just blow away the lights from a few years back.
But the dive industry is just like any other: Their marketing and design teams are constantly over-thinking things, coming up with goofier and goofier features, largely designed to separate the uninitiated from their money (fin designs seem to get an inordinate amount of their attention, followed by BC's). I wouldn't get too caught up in what's "new".
Like with any new or resurgent interest, it's always a good idea to first do a lot of reading before taking the plunge, but for the most part, dive gear has long been figured out, and simple, inexpensive, tried-and-true designs generally work just as well as the more expensive newfangled stuff with all the pretty plastic, over-engineering, and marketing hype.
Thanks Mark! I got a bit overwhelmed with all the replies (first time with something like this). Have to say I found your post to be the best and most relevant to my situation. Again, newbie at boards, so is there a way I can just send a question to you? Thanks - Deb

Hi
@HonuDeb, we have the same age (born 1958) and also I stopped working as a Scuba instructor at the end of 1989, so it's more than 30 years.
However I did never stop diving entirely, my yearly number of dives went down from 300 to 10, or even less. Last year it was just 4, this year still zero...
I continued using the same equipment I was using in the eighties, which was old also at the time: SB MK5+109 (upgraded to 156), mechanical depth meter and SPG, vintage Seiko 150m watch, US Navy tables, an early plastic backpack plus rear-inflating bladder by Coltri, long Rondine Gara fins and Cressi mask.
Only thing I needed to change was the wet suit. Only for the size, not that the old ones were worn...
I did buy my first computer only past year, I got the Cressi Leonardo ad it was the cheapest (99 eur), and it does his job, included Nitrox and light deco. I still use the tables, indeed, and consider the computer as a backup.
I warmly suggest that you get the equipment you are used to, and restart diving "as you were used". After, say, 50 more dives you can try something more modern...
You was lucky to be able to retire so young (I have to wait other 9 years), and even more lucky to be at Hawaii.
I was there just once, for just 8 days, and only at Oahu, but I did love the place tremendously...
So take your time, restart from where you left, and move on slowly. You have a lot of time...
There is no hurry spending 2000-3000 bucks in modern equipment, you can spend 1/4 buying vintage equipment in mint conditions, getting items which probably are easier to use for us old-timers, and certainly more reliable...
Hi Angelo, so nice to meet you! Sorry for late reply--internet issues and hard time with all the replies.Yes, lots in common. Congrats on keeping up with the diving! Anyways, great advise thanks! And even though a Yank, used a lot of Cressi gear. Chow, Deb

Interesting
All these wonderful informative responses
Nothing from the OP @HonuDeb
Must be overwhelmed with all the information !

SDM
Hi Sam, hope you saw my reply to your earlier post. New at this. When I signed up I thought I would get an email saying if and when someone replied--didn't know 20 people would! Only got internet up a few hours ago and thought to check the board--yikes!

Back
Top Bottom