Retired Instructor out of action for 25 years, what's with the new gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other gear changes, some mentioned above...

Lights are so much better now thanks to LEDs and high capacity rechargeable batteries.

Wetsuits have gotten easier to put on thanks to stretchier neoprenes.

Fins.. not much here except for nearly unbreakable and easier entry spring straps as an upgrade to rubber straps.

Masks.. nothing much, although the trend is to lower volume.

Tanks. Aluminum 80s have pretty much taken over as the standard in warm water locations. But steel and other sizes are still readily available.

Computers. Yep, almost everyone dives with computers. Most open water recreational divers no longer figure out bottom times in advance, they let the computer tell them how much time is left at the current depth and shallow up if they want to extend it.

Console versus wrist mounts. Divers are going back to their roots here. Console are still the most common way of carrying your computers and gages, but wrist-mounted had made a big comeback. Except the watch has been replaced with a computer.

Air integrated ("AI") computers. A small percentage of divers have replaced or augmented their SPGs with a small radio transmitter that attaches to an HP port on the first stage that broadcasts to their computer. This offers precise pressure and flow data, gets all your important data in one place, and lets you remove a hose from your regset (unless you want to keep an SPG as a backup). But it's expensive and adds one more thing to go wrong.

Knives - gotten smaller if carried at all. EMT shears or line cutters that look like seat belt safety cutters are a popular alternative, especially for travel where there may be prohibitions on carrying a knife.

Cameras... Obviously digital has replaced film, but there's still the same range in price and size from the pocket cam to the multi-strobe rigs. I think more people carry a camera now because digital makes it easier to take images (if not necessarily good images). It's also not unusual to see people filming their whole dive with GoPro-type cameras in mask or wrist mounts.

SMBs - this may seem odd to you. It's now very common for divers to carry an SMB (aka safety sausage), usually with a small spool of line that allows it to be deployed during the ascent. I'd never heard of them when I started diving in 2000 and when I did it was considered something for advanced divers. But they are considered standard gear now. I'm still not sure why this happened, I suspect it was a reaction to concerns raised by the movie Open Water.

Octos - many divers have switched to keeping their backup reg on a necklace made of bungee cord or surgical tubing. If they need to share air, they donate their primary reg which typically is on a longer hose. This ensures the out of air diver gets a working reg and the donor knows exactly where the backup is.

Octos - many divers have switched to keeping their backup reg on a necklace made of bungee cord or surgical tubing. If they need to share air, they donate their primary reg which typically is on a longer hose. This ensures the out of air diver gets a working reg and the donor knows exactly where the backup is.

@lowwall I think your write-up is great with the exception of your last comment. I don't think there are "many" divers who have switched to the octo on a necklace configuration. I think there are some, but the primary donate/octo necklace has not been widely adopted throughout the dive industry. I would even state that those of using it are in the minority.

OP:
Another change in the last 25 years (+/-)...ascent rate.....25 years ago the safe acceptable ascent rate was considered 60ft/min. That has been halved to 30ft/min by most agencies (PADI being one of the more prominent outliers). This is relatively moot when diving with a computer as many provide a visual ascent rate indicator to help keep the diver ascending at a safe speed.

When I started diving 25 years there was no discussion of depth limits for different certification levels other than the recreation diving depth limit of 130ft/40m.

Less likely to find a purge valve on the nose pocket...those seemed to be quite common about 20 years ago.

Semi-dry suits are something that have come in to existence in the last couple of decades (or less).

-Z

I can relate, I bailed on the instructor gig about 15 years ago, and have also taken a renewed interest in the last couple years (with a hankering to head down south again, at some point.)
During my run, I watched the proliferation of things like nitrox, (and tech diving in general), computers, integrated BC's (as well as the shift from calling them BCD's, LOL!).
Also, a few once well known companies have fallen by the wayside (Dacor,etc), while others have appeared or moved up and become more well known (Atomic, Zeagle,etc).
But, I still have kind of an old school view towards dive gear, preferring simple, tried-and-true designs, over the latest/greatest.
I owned wings/backplate BC's back when i was actively cave diving, but i still like (simple,economical) vest-style BC's for regular diving, even though they seem to be dismissed as kiddie toys around here :D. They're simple, cheap, and they work, nothing wrong with them at all.
As mentioned above, older regulators can still be quite solid ( and in some ways even better), and I'm still a fan of the older Sherwoods I used to use back in the day, and have snagged several minty-nice ones on ebay in the last couple years, and lots of guys here love the older Scubapros, Aqualungs, etc. A lot of solid old gear still floating around, and fairly cheap.
Lights (and batteries) are one thing that have truly leapt forward. What was once a big, premium, name-brand, state of the art light, is now almost considered junk.The new LED lights, and rechargeable batteries, just blow away the lights from a few years back.
But the dive industry is just like any other: Their marketing and design teams are constantly over-thinking things, coming up with goofier and goofier features, largely designed to separate the uninitiated from their money (fin designs seem to get an inordinate amount of their attention, followed by BC's). I wouldn't get too caught up in what's "new".
Like with any new or resurgent interest, it's always a good idea to first do a lot of reading before taking the plunge, but for the most part, dive gear has long been figured out, and simple, inexpensive, tried-and-true designs generally work just as well as the more expensive newfangled stuff with all the pretty plastic, over-engineering, and marketing hype.

@HonuDeb, we have the same age (born 1958) and also I stopped working as a Scuba instructor at the end of 1989, so it's more than 30 years.
However I did never stop diving entirely, my yearly number of dives went down from 300 to 10, or even less. Last year it was just 4, this year still zero...
I continued using the same equipment I was using in the eighties, which was old also at the time: SB MK5+109 (upgraded to 156), mechanical depth meter and SPG, vintage Seiko 150m watch, US Navy tables, an early plastic backpack plus rear-inflating bladder by Coltri, long Rondine Gara fins and Cressi mask.
Only thing I needed to change was the wet suit. Only for the size, not that the old ones were worn...
I did buy my first computer only past year, I got the Cressi Leonardo ad it was the cheapest (99 eur), and it does his job, included Nitrox and light deco. I still use the tables, indeed, and consider the computer as a backup.
I warmly suggest that you get the equipment you are used to, and restart diving "as you were used". After, say, 50 more dives you can try something more modern...
You was lucky to be able to retire so young (I have to wait other 9 years), and even more lucky to be at Hawaii.
I was there just once, for just 8 days, and only at Oahu, but I did love the place tremendously...
So take your time, restart from where you left, and move on slowly. You have a lot of time...
There is no hurry spending 2000-3000 bucks in modern equipment, you can spend 1/4 buying vintage equipment in mint conditions, getting items which probably are easier to use for us old-timers, and certainly more reliable...

@lowwall I think your write-up is great with the exception of your last comment. I don't think there are "many" divers who have switched to the octo on a necklace configuration. I think there are some, but the primary donate/octo necklace has not been widely adopted throughout the dive industry. I would even state that those of using it are in the minority.
Definitely a minority, I didn't intend to imply that most divers have switched to primary donate.

Actually, the most common configuration of a jacket BC, console, and octo second hasn't changed since the late '90s. I was just trying to give a quick overview of the trends and different configs the OP may encounter now.

Reactions: Zef
Not only did they figure how to market fins that are split down the middle but there are now spring straps. No more rubbery straps that break. You stretch the spring and it goes on and just works. The old school 60's jet fins, they are still a popular choice today.

The fairly new AL80s that were made around the time you stopped, there were a bunch made from a bad alloy that was known to crack. So a lot of places added a new eddy current test to check for cracks, and after giving up on that they just quit filling those alloy of tanks, then they just quit filling any of the older tanks. Just what some shops do. And the tank pressures have crept up as well. The old 2250 went to 3000, and now the steel tanks are getting popular again they are around 3442 (converted from metric).

Have you heard about a DIN valve? Instead of clamping onto the top of a tank valve it screws into it. Much better about keeping the O-ring captive and not blowing it out.

The computer bit has been beat to death in this thread already. Features that are hard to work are useless. User interface is everything. Beeping computers will be hated by everyone around you, and probably you as well.

New divers are typically told to stay above 60' now. Don't be surprised if you go with a group and they don't go anyplace deeper than 60'.

The lights. I know it has been mentioned before, but it really is hard to describe how much lights have changed. Your big monster best light you could get when you quit, is junk compared to the most basic super cheap junky LED dive light you get today. It really has gone that far.

For what you are looking to do, there are cheap $30 action cameras that are waterproof and can do basic still and video work. You don't even have to go to the expense of a real GoPro.

Not only have new masks are now low volume, the shape and materials are improved. Some just about stick to your face without a strap. But it is still you have to try them on and see what fits and what doesn't

I'm trying to think of what else might be relevant to your plans. The whole tech level of diving has gone from super niche to mainstream niche. You may see that from time to time where you would never have seen it in the past.

The lights. I know it has been mentioned before, but it really is hard to describe how much lights have changed. Your big monster best light you could get when you quit, is junk compared to the most basic super cheap junky LED dive light you get today. It really has gone that far.

Ah yes, that large oversize five-pound sealed beam light with a 6-volt lantern battery. Now you can get a led light no longer than your finger that puts out four to five times the amount of light than the old lights from the '50s and '60s.

My first light was a 2 generations beyond that. Its halogen bulb put out an amazing 205 lumens for up to 4 hours before you needed to buy another 8 C cell alkaline batteries. You could buy expensive nicad rechargeables, but burn time was 85 minutes at the start of their life. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom