Results of Advanced Nitrox/Deco Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A week after my 68th birthday, I joined a bunch of youth in a TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco course. I handled the 7 dives better than I expected. Actually, hauling the tanks up and down the boat ramp was the greatest challenge physically. The mask-less swim in 41F water was my least favorite activity. Trying to fit a mask skirt onto my numb face was daunting. My valve drills and gas switches, as I gather, met the standards. However, my ability to hold my position at deco stops without holding onto a line did not meet the standards. So, I need more practice on control of my body position, etc. When I feel ready to satisfactorily demonstrate the deficient skills, I can, hopefully, complete the course. My instructors and buddies were fantastic and I really enjoyed the experience. I saw 140 feet for the first time. The course was a great confidence builder and motivator to become a much better diver.

Sounds like you had a good class. I have never taken a TDI class, but I have done the IANTD Deep Diver and Advanced Nitrox courses, which are equivalent. The maskless swim was no fun for me, but it was (in part) because it was also a regulatorless swim, in salt water. My eye (I only have one) really hates salt water, and because I only have one, I'm a bit phobic about it, and anything at all that causes discomfort to it really really ups my stress levels.

But for me, the most difficult part was the timed swim (270 meters in 7 minutes or less). I wouldn't normally expect this to be a difficult thing. But in this case, it was.
Before the timed swim, we had spent 90 minutes doing drills (gas switching, S drills, gear don/doff, etc). In 12-15FSW. With surge going East/West and current going North. Maintaining buoyancy of 1 meter, and proper trim. And not allowing the surge or the current to carry us away. So after 90 minutes of constant activity, I was pretty damned tired. OK, actually I wondered if the instructor was trying to give me a heart attack. :)

Another "challenge" for the course was the DSMB. We'd been at 140FSW and as we ascended, we went through a swimthrough, emerging at a planned deep stop of 80FSW. In a hole in the reef, just barely big enough for the two of us to maintain proper trim. In Cozumel currents. So I shot the bag in cramped quarters, while being careful not to kick the reef or the instructor despite the currents.

Kudos to you for challenging your diving that way! I think almost everybody would benefit from an entry-level tech class, and a glimpse of what is possible in terms of stability, precision, and situational awareness. Good luck practicing and going for your pass!

excellent news and keep up the good work...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom