REST IN PEACE Deputy Rancourt / PSD Fatality in Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I met with one of David Rancourt's dive team members on Thursday and he confirmed that the newspaper accounts previously posted are accurate. A "heart attack" was determined to be the cause of death. As indicated earlier, the victim surfaced, indicated he was in distress and was brought to shore where CPR was initiated.

A true tragedy which will influence decisions as it relates to "medical standards" and "physical fitness standards" for public safety diving. I attach the following article for followup...

'A quiet man'

By Christopher Williams , Staff Writer
Friday, November 10, 2006

LEWISTON, MAINE - Capt. Raymond Lafrance thought he knew everything about his deputy after they worked together for a decade.

Turns out, not everything.

It was only after Androscoggin County Sheriff's Deputy David Rancourt died a week ago that Lafrance learned about the Bronze Star. It was awarded to Rancourt for his service in the Iraq War. The Army awards the Bronze Star to soldiers for heroic service in connection with military operations against an armed enemy.

It was just like Rancourt to keep that to himself, Lafrance reflected Thursday during his friend's funeral.

In fact, nobody in the department knew about the military's recognition of Rancourt's valor until his wife, Dawn, shared that fact with some of the officers while preparing for his funeral. Rancourt suffered a heart attack Saturday morning while diving for criminal evidence in the Androscoggin River.

"David was a quiet man, never bragging about himself," Lafrance said in his eulogy during Rancourt's funeral at the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul.

Public service was nothing unusual for the 40-year-old Leeds man. He served in two wars over 20 years in the U.S. Army reserves. And he was a deputy with the Sheriff's Department for 10 years.

About 2,000 mourners packed the city's largest church on Thursday, filling every pew and standing along every wall.

Later, at St. Peter's Cemetery, law enforcement authorities from around Maine and as far away as New York and Canada joined his fellow officers and soldiers to pay tribute to one of their own.

Twenty-one rounds cracked the silence as an honor guard fired its salute. An American flag that was draped over Rancourt's silver casket was folded and handed to his wife, Dawn, during the singing of "God Bless the USA." She sat clutching the hand of their son, 7-year-old Jeromey, then stood and placed a single red rose on the casket, kissed her hand and touched it to her late husband's casket.

A fly-over by a LifeFlight helicopter and bagpipers playing "Amazing Grace" brought the service to an end as Dawn Rancourt dabbed at her eyes with a tissue.

During his years of public service, David Rancourt "witnessed much suffering and pain," said the Rev. Lionel Chouinard. "But he never lost his faith in people and their possibility for good." Rancourt filled his life with love and sacrifice, Chouinard said.

Lafrance said his deputy was a resourceful man. When the jail housing 130 prisoners ran out of water, Rancourt told his supervisor not to worry. Next thing Lafrance knew, a tanker full of water from the U.S. Army was parked in the sallyport.

"I don't know how he did it," Lafrance said. "I didn't ask."

During her eulogy, Rancourt's niece Alyssa Greene, an elementary school teacher, compared her uncle to Dr. Seuss. Both devoted their lives in respective quests to make the world a better place.

"You've witnessed the world at it's best and at its worst," she said. "Please enjoy your new journey."

Truly a tragedy. It makes one wonder, if PSD divers required the same kind of medical screening that research divers have (which would in Deputy Rancourt's case have been a resting EKG and a treadmill EKG if indicated), might it have been avoided?

My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Rancourt, his family, and fellow officers. May God bless his soul and watch over his family.

My condolences to the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom