Resort Scuba Certification-Is This for Real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbs129

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone has any experience with, or can at least offer some clarification on the following issue.

A friend of mine was recently on vacation to a Bahamas resort location (to remain nameless), at which time he participated in a resort scuba certification class. From the information I have been told, the class was a basic one hour lecture with some videos, followed by a short in pool session. This was then followed by an instructor lead open water dive to approx 20 - 30 ft. Some sort of certification card was issued to all participants at the end of the open water dive.

Surprisingly, my friend has indicated that he is going to be visiting my area this summer and would like to go diving with me, possible for some scallops. He has indicated that he would not have any problem diving anywhere based on what he learned at the resort.

Personally, I really don't think this would be a great idea based on the fact that my friend has only completed one dive in tropical waters. In addition, I am concerned with the level of certification obtained from the resort in such a short training timeframe. I am no expert in the field. However, in comparison to the amount of class time, pool time, and open water dives and skills I had to complete for the Basic Open Water Certification, this seems to be more of a Discover Scuba class with a certificate for participating.

Does such a short timeframe resort course exist that would certiy an individual to rent regulators and dive without a professional instructor?

I have completed 40 dives since my own certification and am very comfortable diving with other individuals who are equal or better skill level than myself. I have also participated in several scallop dives to 40 - 50 ft and I am comfortable with using and swimming with the catch bag.

I am sure you would understand my concern if my friend showed up with a set of regs (borrowed, bought used from an unknown, or whatever) and expected to accompany me on a dive with other dive buddies to 50 or 60 ft, let alone of getting some scallops.

As the basic rule of scuba is safety first and to dive within the limits and abilities of the least skilled individual in the dive group, I have serious doubts about his limits and abilities based on this resort course.

Do you think it would appear unfriendly if I requested this certification to be reviewed by my LDS dive instructors before arranging any diving when he visits this summer?

Don't quote me on this, but the resort certification is exactly that, he can do dives under the supervision of a divemaster or instructor in shallow depths.

I don't think a dive shop(at least a legit one) is going to rent any gear to someone with the resort certification card at all either.

My brother-in-law did something similar when he was in Mexico. I would suspect that it is only a "discover scuba cert." Have you seen the certification? I would highly doubt that your friend has a OW card. If you have doubts, then perhaps that is your answer to your question.

Ask him what agency and what the name of the "qualification" is.

TO me it sounds like a DSD certificate which clearly states on it "this is not a diving certification".

It could be he went thru a resort course & his 'certification' could be good for a week or so--diving along with a DM &/or instructor down to ?40'( a shallow depth anyway)...????

If it's not thru one of the 'big ones' & he does not have a real 'C' card, I would not touch that one with a 10' pole.....

I took a similar course in Cancun a few years ago, and no, there is no comparison to a proper PADI OW course [which I later took] and doubtless any similar certification. At best it could be called an in-depth orientation. Whatever cert card he was issued is unlikely to have any more validity for renting equipment or buying air than a Tim Horton's card. That being said, I can imagine a slipshod tourist-trap LDS accepting such a card, putting your pal into a very dangerous situation.

I would recommend that you tell your friend that you won't dive with him unless he gets a recognized dive certification...PADI, NAUII or the like. It may feel unfriendly, but in reality it is the best advice you could give him as a friend.

Your friend has done a Discover Scuba Diving course. This is no different from any introductory scuba course. When I was in Caribbean for a cruise I signed up for a 2 tank dive. As we were standing on the dock waiting for the dive boat to show up I started chatting up my fellow divers. One guys was from Ontario and was telling me about all the diving he had been doing. Sound just like any other diver in the group.

We got on the boat and started heading for the first dive site. The dive guide gave us the liability waivers and asked us to show our c-cards. Around 10 minutes into the ride we turned around and the guide told us the guy from Ontario would not be joining us. Turns out his c-card, which looked a lot like everyone else's, was just a Discover Scuba Card. The card essentially made it so he didn't have to take the in-pool portion of the Discover Scuba Diving while he was at the resort. He thought it meant he was a fully certified scuba diver. He had his own gear and rented tanks back home. Scary.

Don't quote me on this, but the resort certification is exactly that, he can do dives under the supervision of a divemaster or instructor in shallow depths.

I don't think a dive shop(at least a legit one) is going to rent any gear to someone with the resort certification card at all either.

Even with a DM he would not be certified to go for a dive in pool. You would need a DSD Leader (DM with additional internship) to take him in a pool and a full instructor to take him out into open water.

Your friend is clueless. Straighten him out about real certification, or send him to a dive shop that can. Even with certification, Newfoundland is not like the Caribbean where you splash around in peaceful warm water wearing swim trunks.

Maybe set him up to get cold water certification when he visits. Dead friends are no fun, and can spoil a good day of diving.

PADI has a "Scuba Diver" (not to be confused with Open Water Diver) that is abbreviated and easily upgraded; however, many people who get this certification are confused about their qualifications, since its name is hard to differentiate for new divers.

But it requires a DM or OWSI to guide the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom