Resort Diver plus certified (mixed group)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetskiman

Registered
Reaction score
We will be traveling to Occidential Grand Xcaret at the end of Feb. My son isn't certified but wants to try diving. The rest of our group is certified. Are there any options for a mixed group like this (certified and resort diver)?

Also, how is the diving in that area now? Is it getting back to where there is a good amount of sea life? Any special must see dive(s)?

First of all I think that you will enjoy that hotel. My wife and I have stayed there twice (most recently last November) and it is a great property. There is an on-site dive operator that I have never used but reports from other divers who did were that, much like most hotel based dive ops, the dives are short and regimented. They do not leave from the hotel waterfront as there is no dock so the divers depart from the front of the hotel in a van and are taken to an off-site location.

I would recommend using Diablo Divers (Diablo Divers - Home) for your group. Dennis operates Diablo and also Aquanauts Dive Shop out of Puerto Aventuras and will arrange to pick up your group from the hotel and return them there. When I was there in November doing my divemaster course he also had discover scuba and resort diver students and made sure that they were well taken care of in terms of instructors without interfering with certified divers wanting to spend more time underwater. He runs a very professional operation and you will see other posts on this board highly favorable about Dennis.

The diving itself is quite good. Visibility is more than enough, marine life is abundant and the spur and finger reef system gives you lots to explore. There are several great dives some of which include bull sharks and, for a different dive, you should consider doing one or two cenote dives.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the area and the hotel.

Ross

Thanks for the response! It sounds like we may have made a good choice. We had a pretty lame post hurricane dive at Cozumel a couple years ago (Feb 2006) and I was hoping it wasn't going to be the same here. We went to Belize last year. If you haven't been, that is awesome!

You note was reassuring on the mixed group. Our group will have 5 certified divers plus 1 (my adult son) who will need the resort course. He want's to try 1st. I was hoping there would be a way we could go together and separate out in the water. I would hand with my son's resort dive, but it would be nice if the others could venture off. It's difficult to know what they will allow because past experience in Cozumel was that if you ventured 10 feet from the DM he started having a fit pounding his tank and forced you to surface at 1500 PSI. In Florida we are used to the DM not even getting wet.

What's the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and back. Just pick a random shuttle/taxi? There will be 4 in the group traveling with us (we will meet the others at the Occidental the next day).

When the Occidental restaurants say that proper attire is required (like the steak house, are they referring to just not being in beach wear or are they expecting more? Are jeans and tee-shirts OK? Trying to figure what we need to pack. How far in advance do you have to make the dinner reservation. We've stayed at Moon Palace and they only needed reservations at one spot. This requirement was a surprise.

I've read conflicting things on Internet connections. Is there high speed Internet in the regular rooms or just dial? If it's just dial, do they have connections available there somewhere at a price? If so, any idea how much? I may need to bring some office work with me.

Hi;

Some answers for you....

I am actually headed to Belize in early March...one week on the Nekton Pilot and one week diving off Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. I was there in 2005 but couldn't dive due to a broken collarbone but loved the place enough to head back.

You will find Dennis and his staff very accommodating in terms of teaching your son. They use a sheltered area called the Caleta for confined water training and this works out well. For the open water portion of the training they will sometimes split off with an instructor and the student with the experienced divers heading off with a Dive Master or, if they keep the group together, surfacing as people air out without forcing everyone else out of the water. Like Cozumel, diving in the Playa area is "live boat" drift diving (with minimal current compared to Cozumel) and both the boat captain and assistant are very good at bubble tracking. Generally they surface at around 700 PSI. Do try the Cenotes....that area is famous for them and Dennis and Martin (an instructor who works for him) are accomplished cave, cavern and cenote divers. Other than your son...who would be on a shorter leash...the dive masters there keep you close enough for safety but give you enough latitude to enjoy your dive. You should correspond with Dennis in advance and one suggestion I might have would be for your son to do the book learning part of the course in advance and that will give him more time to enjoy the vacation and get right into the diving. Feel free to tell Dennis that I mentioned his name....maybe that will earn me a beer next time I am down there.

By the way Cozumel has come back very well (we went there in November as part of this trip) and the reefs look good. I use Living Underwater there and I know that Dennis recommends them along with Blue Xtacy as dive ops to use and can make arrangements with them on your behalf should you want to do a day trip over.

In terms of travel from Cancun airport to the Grand Xcaret there are several private shuttle services that work out of the airport but they should be booked in advance. This link:

Cancun Airport Transfers - Best Rates in Cancun on Private Transfers is only one of several and you should Google search to check prices. We paid (for two people) around $90.00 plus tip round trip with us paying about 60% on the first leg and the balance on the return trip. They are reliable (at least they have been on three trips so far) and will have a sign with your name on a hand held board outside the arrivals area. The people inside the arrivals area who try to grab you are to be avoided as they are trying to trade your transportation in exchange for a time share pitch. If you have pre-booked your transportation then it is easy to brush them off and look like you know where you are going....just outside and you will see various vans parked. This (other than taking a public bus) is the most economical way to travel...especially with a group. It does look like prices may have gone up since we were there last November.

Proper attire is a sore point with me as they do accept jeans as being "long pants" and I have dress shorts that are nicer than some jeans that I have seen. Sorry just a rant! Yes they do allow jeans and prefer a collared shirt (I really can't recall if I saw t-shirts at dinner) so it is not that formal. I took a pair of chinos for the a la carte restaurants and then would change back to shorts after dinner. The most popular restaurants are the steak house and the seafood restaurant and those are the reservations to go after first. They seemed a lot looser with getting additional reservations on the last trip...just keep going back to the conceige desk and asking. Another method is to be reasonably generous to your waiter and get additional reservations from him. The buffet is actually pretty good and they offer one in the main building and another down by the water. The beach is man made and is just a lagoon but quite well done. Depending on your tolerance for pool side games you might try out the quiet pool which we preferred and we requested a building adjacent to that because we knew that is where we would hang out when not diving. Building 5 or 6 would be a good choice and they are central so more convenient to both the main building and the ocean. There is a husband and wife team that often work the bar at that pool and they are great.

The internet in the rooms when we were there was marginal. They had a difficult to use keyboard and went through the television and it was far from high speed. I believe that the "Club" building has wireless. There is wireless that covers the lobby area and an access card can be purchased and there is also a business center with terminals where you can pay as you go. I found that taking my own laptop was the way to go since I could do work and answer email while enjoying a drink (or two) in the lobby bar.

You should also consider spending a day or part of it in Playa Del Carmen....great town with lots to see and do. The Xcaret Park (passes included in your package) is very worthwhile and the evening Mayan show is worth attending.

The hotel is very nice and the staff are great so I think you will enjoy it.

Have fun and if there are any other questions let me know.

Ross Ruddick

Is the wireless in the lobby free if you bring a wireless laptop or is it extra?

You've been very helpful! If you don't have a dive shop at San Pedro lined up yet, EcoLogic Divers is one if the best shops I've ever dealt with. The DM took a lot of pictures on the dives and will give them to you a no charge. They will write them on a CD or in my case, to a memory stick.

We stayed at the Banana Beach Resort when we were there. It's a nice place and very reasonably priced. The Blue Hole was one of those 'you can say you did it' dives, but that's about it. As near as I can tell people take a 3 hour boat ride out there to say they swam under a ledge at 140 feet. There is a dive site out by the Blue Hole called The Aquarium that was actually a much better dive. It was included in the Blue Hole dive package. One of the better dives was a night dive at Shark Ray Alley. Most of the dives other than the Blue Hole were fairly shallow. I don't recall anyone diving Nitrox.

One of the local events is the "Chicken Drop". It's pretty lame. Just across from there was a guy cleaning fish at a table knee deep in water. He was surrounded by several large rays that were begging for scraps like puppy dogs.

If you want any snacks in San Pedro, bring them. Stuff like that is very expensive there. A bag of chips will set you back $8-9.

Hi Jetskiman;

The wireless in the lobby is not supposed to be free but fire up the laptop and see what happens. I ended up getting a couple of days for free before it was necessary to enter the code of the card that I bought. I can't remember the price but it wasn't inexpensive relative to U.S. or Canadian internet pricing. They have a variety of packages available and I don't doubt that it is possible to share a card among several users.

Ecologic is one of three shops that come highly recommended on San Pedro along with Chuck and Robbie's and Pro-Tech and I am probably going with Pro-Tech. I appreciate the advice about the Blue Hole and in spite of many recommendations it is one of those dives that I want to do more for the log book entry than anything else. Besides it is the reason that I told my wife that I wanted to go back to Belize.

The last time there we were on San Pedro for two weeks and spent the first week at The Belizian Shores further north (very very nice) and the second week at Banana Beach which, like you, we enjoyed. It was close enough to be a pleasant walk to town and very well appointed. This time I am staying in town at Ruby's since I am traveling solo and want only inexpensive and basic so as to spend money on diving and perhaps a few Belikins.

We did go to the Chicken Drop but never won money as it seems the best way to win is to be the one tossing the chicken and aiming for your own square...that seems to be the place the Chicken does his business. We also enjoyed a lot of great restaurants and one highlight was BC's BBQ with the incredible ribs. I do hope to get back to Shark Ray Alley and dive as the last time it was just snorkeling and I could see from the surface that it would be a good, relatively shallow dive. I do know that prices on the island are high for any imported goods so I will stick to domestic beer and try to make do with that.

Another suggestion for the Mayan Riviera area would be the Mayan ruins at Tulum. Very impressive and then, after doing that, you might enjoy the beaches in the area. They are probably the nicest with wide white sand that goes for miles.

Enjoy your trip.

Ross

I think you should contact DiveMex in Playa del Carmen. I just made the best experience with them. They are flexible and very customer minded.

We will be traveling to Occidential Grand Xcaret at the end of Feb. My son isn't certified but wants to try diving. The rest of our group is certified. Are there any options for a mixed group like this (certified and resort diver)?

Also, how is the diving in that area now? Is it getting back to where there is a good amount of sea life? Any special must see dive(s)?

I've taken non cert'd divers the last two years to Playa. If you contact the dive shop in advance they can usually work something out for you to dive with your son.
If he does well enough and they feel comfortable with him you can do Tortuga reef which is a nice dive even for advanced divers.
I used Jason(playacountryboy here) at fantasea dive last July and will use him again this July when I take an even bigger group of non divers down there. He tailored things just as I needed them and made my family feel very comfortable in the water.

The diving is very nice just expect more wildlife than coral.

Clint

I think you should contact DiveMex in Playa del Carmen. I just made the best experience with them. They are flexible and very customer minded.

Seeing as your 6 posts are in support of DiveMex, some are wondering if you are associated with them or simply a very satisfied customer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom