Resort Class policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I won't mention the really large DC PADI training operation that has it down to e-learning and one day for the pool work.....

But if you don't get it, you can come back later session for free and they do have a number of DM helping.

I have sent a bunch of nieces and nephews through. None have died yet....

I'm a newbie and have heard the "my instructor was fantastic" comment many times while working with someone refreshing their skills. When they struggle with a skill and you remind them of how they did it in an OW class and they say they never did that......

To the average student, any DM or instructor seems like a dive god.

To the average student, any DM or instructor seems like a dive god.

You are absolutely right - students have no idea what they don't know and if they ever do know, it's way too late. The comment a few posts above is a shining example.

I did my PADI OW training in 2007 and it was a 3 hour class on Friday evening, and two 8 hour days of classroom and pool work on Saturday and Sunday. And THEN it was another weekend trip to do the OW dives over 2 days. I struggle to see how effective certification training could be done any faster. At the time I felt some of the stuff I went through was rushed and was absolutely the bare minimum standard. It's just unbelievable to me to hear that they are throwing people into OW dives after a E-learning course and a couple hours in the pool.

OK. I respect your opinion, but I don't wholly agree with it.

That's fine, you don't have to agree with me, but if you didn't do the requisite training dives, corners were cut. There actually are reasons the dives are separated out the way they are, particularly for the OW certification. That is not a matter of opinion, it's a fact. I was a PADI Instructor for 20 years, retired December of 2020 and have certified over 1000 divers. As a shop owner for 20 years, my shop certified thousands. So take it for what it's worth, but you will be challenged to find an instructor worth their salt who disagrees with me on this point or with training standards. And I sincerely mean no offense, we literally all started at zero - but with less than 100 dives, you honestly don't know what you don't know. The more experience you gain, your perceptions may change.

I wish you a long, enjoyable and safe diving career :)

but with less than 100 dives, you honestly don't know what you don't know.

@Diverlady13

You are probably gonna want to put a band-aid on that. Ouch.... stingy.....

johnsonjohnson_band-aid_tin_pic3.jpg

We did have the option to spread the course out over more time, but it did work out OK for us because we did our OW and AOW back-to-back.
Although more training is good, IMO you are in not an advanced diver if you do your OW and AOW back to back.

THAT is actually a serious standards violation. Students cannot conduct more than 3 dives per day. For a full OW course, there are 5 confined water dives and 4 open water dives required - which dictates a 3 day minimum.
Those 5 CW are not separate dives. PADI does allow for one massive pool session where each CW session is done in sequence. Add one OW dive that afternoon and 3 the next day and you are done. Not a good class, and never taught that way, but it is not uncommon.

we did our OW and AOW back-to-back.
It's good to get more training and supervision after the OW course since OW is so basic. I see that you've logged over 50 dives, so good start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom