resizing pics to post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monkeyfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

I would like to post some pics on the marine life thread but all my digital pix are too big. Is there a way to resize them so they will fit? Thanks

Aloha monkeyfish,
You need some type of software program that will let you resize those photos. I don't know what camera you have but check the CD ROM that came with it and see if there is a program on it that you can use. If not, there are lots of inexpensive software programs out there. Hopefully Dee, or someone else, will jump in here and help you out with this as I use Photoshop 7.0 which is not a free or cheap program. It would also be nice to have a program that can adjust your photos as respects contrast, brightness, etc.

I agree with Gilligan...check your camera CD for a processing program. For instance, Olympus give you Camedia to use.

I can highly suggest PhotoShop Elements2. Yesterday, Circuit City had it for $27 after rebates!!!! It's probably a holiday deal so check it out!

$99.99 + tax = $107
- $50.00 rebate = $57
- $30.00 Adobe upgrade rebate = $27

Thanks for the advice. It is a canon v3. It came with a few programs, one called photo impressions that you can mess with the contrast, colors, ect...... didn't see a option for resizing though. I will have to take a closer look. Will look into the photoshop element2. Thanks

Monk...look in the file menu, or it may be an option when you save the picture. If you have the option, save it to 100K

In Elements, I use a 'Size for Web' feature that allows me several options to get the best quality in the small sizes for quick loading.

Dee,

At work now so not able to check my canon program. I did find a trial program online that I could use to post the pics in the marine life thread. Thanks for the help.

Get irfanview - thumbnail, viewer, exif, convert, resize, rename, batch processing and it's totally free:
http://www.irfanview.com

I am using this free software called JPEG Resizer.

can be d/l from Resizer

The one smart function I that I liked most is the Smart Resizing, where it will make the largest side of the picture to your re-determined size.

Very helpful if you have done a lot of croppings.

Hoped this helps

Go read this very short but informative article for an incredibly simple yet fool proof to resize your images but still have them be sharp and contrasty using photoshop or elements or any other of that ilk.
http://www.usefilm.com/photo_articles/23/Photoshop_Basics:_Achieving_Sharpness_for_Web_Images.html
Blacknet and I know the guy who wrote it... he teaches this stuff.

Edited to add:
Try it once... just resize the image... save a copy... then go back to the original and resize following the procedure in the article... save... compare the two images... you will be convinced if you have any eye at all. I know I was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom