residual narcosis ? . . . or what ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only have I heard of this happening during the dive, I have heard of several people having memory lapses or blank outs hours post dive. Has this ever happened to any of you? Normally after 130+ dives.

Gela:
Not only have I heard of this happening during the dive, I have heard of several people having memory lapses or blank outs hours post dive. Has this ever happened to any of you? Normally after 130+ dives.

Symtoms like that could be suggestive of something far more serious such as a mild bend or neurological problem.

String:
"residual" narcosis cannot and does not exist. Its purely partial pressure related.

More than likely if the not remembering symptoms are true it could be stress, fatigue, CO2 retention caused by odd breathing patterns while narc'd and so on.

Nausea can result after narcosis due to altered breathing patterns and CO2 retention.

Whatever it is, its definately NOT narcosis.

How would you explain my experience? I know I was well rested. It was the first dive of two that day. I have no problems with irregular breathing and would seriously doubt CO2 retention in my case.

I remember quite clearly to this day the part of the dive from the surface to just past 50 feet and the part from 90 to 116 feet. Its the stuff in between 50 and 90 that I have very vague or no recollection of. This is the only dive in which I have ever experienced this.

Temporary narcosis? Shock factor descending then things are more under control and the situation dealt with ?

Impossible to say but the main purpose of this thread the answer is narcosis doesnt have a lag factor.

jbd:
How would you explain my experience? I know I was well rested. It was the first dive of two that day. I have no problems with irregular breathing and would seriously doubt CO2 retention in my case.

I remember quite clearly to this day the part of the dive from the surface to just past 50 feet and the part from 90 to 116 feet. Its the stuff in between 50 and 90 that I have very vague or no recollection of. This is the only dive in which I have ever experienced this.

Well.....I've heard stories about divers who were slightly hypoglycemic showing such symptoms too. How did you eat before the dive?

R..

String:
... the main purpose of this thread the answer is narcosis doesnt have a lag factor.

I agree with this. Nitrogen narcosis is related to the partial pressure of nitrogen at depths. This simply doesn't happen on the surface so whatever the cause of memory loss on the surface, it wasn;t nitrogen narcosis.

verona:
I agree with this. Nitrogen narcosis is related to the partial pressure of nitrogen at depths. This simply doesn't happen on the surface so whatever the cause of memory loss on the surface, it wasn;t nitrogen narcosis.

Not sure if about the wording you used but the memory loss did occur during the dive, at depth, but cannot be recalled at the surface. Memory of surface interval is intact.

Funny, marriage is doing the same thing to me..........

pilot fish:
Not sure if about the wording you used but the memory loss did occur during the dive, at depth, but cannot be recalled at the surface. Memory of surface interval is intact.

could DCS (from ascent) cause retrograde amnesia of the time at depth?

lamont:
could DCS (from ascent) cause retrograde amnesia of the time at depth?

I forget. Nah, just jesting. :eyebrow:

Not sure. Who knows? Not even sure what that is, or if that's possible. Keener dive minds than mine will have to answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom