Research Diver Fatality in Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well hell :(

Does a tender assume comms?
I don't think comms are inherently required for tending, but they are quite common in this application (ie tended scientific diving). The article is pretty unhelpful at understand what or where anything happened at all.

I was a few classes ahead of Umi in the dive programs at UC Santa Cruz and mentored him through several classes and as a dive buddy. His dive skill and dive planning mentality was what you would expect from mentors here on scubaboard. Great dive skill with regards to buoyancy and awareness. Dive planning was thoughtful and safe.

To set the record straight that was brought up several posts above:
He was diving SCUBA off the USGS research vessel Gyre, in a 3-man buddy team in waters 30ft max bottom. The purpose was doing sub-tidal underwater surveys. The survey project collaboration is with US Geological Survey, National Park Services, and his post-doc research with UCSC.
At some point during a regroup the 2 other divers didn't find him and after searching, found him at the surface unresponsive.

He had an impact on the communities of UC Santa Cruz, UC Santa Barbara, and research communities operating in Antarctica and Alaska.

Our community including current & alumni are supporting each other and withholding speculation. Since I'm alumni of UCSC's Scientific Diving Program, I do not expect to be shared any findings when the investigation finalizes. I'm also going to distance myself and not respond to this forum post, as any info I'm receiving further is in confidence and not released for public knowledge at this time.

You guys are always respectful on the A&I. Thank you and keep up the safety discussions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom