Research and Background information help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I’m doing some research for a writing project and need some help with my research from folks who have dove, or are from the north east shore of the Cape York Peninsula in Australia, from the Low Islands to the Torres Straight.

What I’m looking for is some basic information about the diving up in that region. I’m looking for background information like, the water temperatures, depths, areas where the shallows of the reef give way to the greater depths, average depths where the thermoclines start, constant current patterns, and weather patterns. (i.e. is the are prone to harsh weather like monsoons, hurricanes, etc.

Also, what type of exposure protection is genreally used when diving there.

I would also like to get some information on the GBR marine live, shark presences, types of common fish, coral. etc.

I would like to hear from those who have dove the region, and from those who live in Australia and are familiar with the area, including the basic land geography in the area.

Also if anyone can give me some information about the following towns/ outposts it would be appreciated;
• Townsville;
• Cairns;
• Port Douglas;
• Lockhart River;
• Low Isles Research Station.

The kind of information I am looking for is as follows;
• Accommodations;
• Lifestyle;
• tourist attractions;
• restaurants;
• dive operators.

Please feel free to OPM me any information, and if you have an digital pictures of the locations mentioned (UW and land shots) that you wouldn’t mind sharing, PM and I’ll send you an email account that you can send them to. All material that get send to me will be for my viewing only, and not for publication.

I’m trying to get a general “feel” for the area, but cannot afford the time nor expense to travel there….yet.

To put this into context a bit, I am looking for infomatiaon that would be relative if I were planning a large scale dive trip in the tiem period from Novemeber to January.

Thanks in advance for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom