Rescue Squad saves trapped dam diver - North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used this company for LOTO, all ex USN. Fancy software to help minimize Delta P risks

Attachments

• Delta P.png
    Delta P.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 158
It's possible that a buddy and other surface support could have cycled fresh cylinders down to him. I usually carry a spare tank, and it's not unusual for me to have a backup reg as well. Depending on how bureaucratic the agency doing the work, they may have had to have a standby diver on the surface as well. Once rescue arrived, they might have been able to keep cycling tanks.

Just throwing this out there as an alternative to SS or rebreather.

Any idea what the ambient pressure was at his location? The one news article says 22' below the lake, but the way news reports are written I can't conclude if that's 22' below the water surface or the bottom of the lake. I've only worked around small private water intakes in lakes, but none of them penetrated below lake bottom except very close to shore. They tended to lie near the bottom until close to the end, where they'd be off the bottom far enough to avoid sucking in sediments. None are underground in more than about 5-6' of water. Sewer outfalls are pretty similar: The pipe is usually exposed no more than about 5-10' deep (depending on tide).

I know those divers personally and they deserve every bit of credit that they will get for this. Carter County is a very small rescue squad supported by the county EMS. Most of the guys that assist with these rescues are volunteers. Due to the topography they see more than their fair share of water, High angle rope, and search rescues. Most of their divers also assist in those capacities. For them to have alerted volunteers and been on site at night over the mountains in a little over an hour for a neighboring county on a mutual assist is phenomenal. I will more than likely see at least a couple of these guys over the weekend at the local quarry and will try to get some of the detail questions answered for those that are interested.

Back
Top Bottom