Rescue or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But this is not Italy. and because of your laws,,, there are probably also greater protections for those the are much more clear perhaps. In the US we live in a law suit society. A society that in many cases uses legal manipulation for personal gain. You pull over to the side for a road to render assistance and you get mugged. That does not apply to diving but it does apply to the ingrained mindset that governs the willingness for people to give assistance under any general situation..
Perhaps only in Texas? Actually it was USAmericans who first taught me about kindness and helping others as a community/society. I've never been to Texas though, it's probably very different there. People say Texas is its own country...

For one minute,which you would know by now if you've taken the rescue course properly.

The diving world is much, much larger than "the 50 states," most of it in the far more reasonable parts of the globe where people understand helping others is a desirable thing to do. If you think something is a bad idea for those in your situation, then stop there. What's the point of making sure the rest of the world follows your silly paranoia that has nothing to do with our contexts?

I'm sorry if my words seem harsh, but you strike me as someone who takes his argument from a tiny grain of sand and insist the entire ocean floor must be exactly the same, without ever being in the water. You went on a multi page rant about how disabled divers shouldn't be trusted to rescue others, while you yourself doesn't have any clue what disabilities mean and what our diverse lived experiences are like. I'd suggest you take a step back and contemplate on the vastness of the universe. Remember how little we know about it all, and sit humbly in your opinions.

Disabilities are not defections. Lawsuits are mostly a US thing. Let's get over it.

I think if you reread my post I said law suits is a US thing that is often abused. The cost of proving that will often ruin one for life. That becasue if that makes people shy to extened help for fear of liability. That that fear is not isolated to one single aspect of rendering assistance gets extended to all rendering efforts. As to the other you have engaged in word twisting for your own use.

Perhaps only in Texas? Actually it was USAmericans who first taught me about kindness and helping others as a community/society. I've never been to Texas though, it's probably very different there. People say Texas is its own country...

This is not a texas thing it is fact of nature of sorts. every jurisdictioin has its own views on matters. Much like recording a conversation. one state says only one has to be informed others say both parties have to be informed. screw it up and you ar ethe bad guy.... If you are not prepared and know exactly where you stand in the jurisdiction you are in,,, you can find yourself in a world of hurt and not know it just because you made a good intended assistance. There is always the issue of making your best untrained effort vs an effort after you have been trained. The issue of proficiency never seams to enter into the equation. until a lawyer gets involved. the decision is often one of self protection and your value to others like a family. If you dont stick your neck out you dont engage in a behavior that could threaten those that legally depend on you. The decisions are often survival decisions that are made in a moments time frame. Bottom line it is often viewed as them or you.

Honestly ide much rather risk getting sued, than live with myself knowing I let someone die when I could have prevented it.

op asked about a stress and rescue course...... well just because you take the course doesn’t mean you have to patrol the oceans looking for people to save like bay watch...what if you go diving with your wife, child, best friend? Wouldn’t you prefer to know the proper skills to save THEM?...., or would y’all let them drown too so they can’t sue you?

this whole “might get sued” is a boogie man argument so you can shirk your responsibilities as a good diver and a good human being

I think I'm learning a new criterion to ask a potential instabuddy.....

Honestly ide much rather risk getting sued, than live with myself knowing I let someone die when I could have prevented it.

Who is advocating that? Who thinks that you should "let someone die".

You don't need a cert card from a marketing firm (name your certification agency) to save someone's life. You don't need a "Master Scuba Rescue Diver Credential" to save someone's life.

Just do it!

You don't need a cert card to scuba dive. I have never been asked for a cert card to get a fill, let alone go scuba diving. Unless I am diving from someone's boat or property.

Also for those that have concerns of legal liability, get teh books and self learn. its the skills that are important not the card.

As for the legal aspect, get trained but don't get any cards, then you arn't certified. There is no Agency record of non certified divers. Of course you don't have to forget what you learned.

Yours is a straw dog argument.

markm

Who is advocating that? Who thinks that you should "let someone die".
so what exactly is the whole point you are trying to make then?

that you SHOULDNT get a cert?
that you DONT NEED a cert?
that having a cert will get you sued?
that you shouldnt save people for risk of getting sued (cert or not)?

honestly youve been rambling a lot without making a coherent thought

i really fail to see how anyone can argue that more knowledge and training is a bad thing....if you personally dont feel its worth it to you to take the course, dont take it.....but why would you actively dissuade someone else from taking it?.....who cares what they pay and who they pay it to?

more knowledgeable and trained divers should be the goal regardless of how they get there

You don't need a cert card to scuba dive. I have never been asked for a cert card to get a fill, let alone go scuba diving. Unless I am diving from someone's boat or property.
Amazing. I've been all over the world and have ALWAYS been asked for a cert card. But, then, I dive from liveaboards, resorts, and public beaches, and always need to rent a tank if on travel. Even at home, there is no way to dive without showing a card and signing something. I suppose if I never went anywhere and filled my own tanks and always dived from an open shore, I might luck out....but I'd miss a lot of spectacular diving that way.

That surprises me too, about not having to show a c-card, but it got me thinking. I haven't had to show my c-card to get a fill at my LDS, but by the time I bought my tank they all knew me and knew I was certified because I'd been renting gear from them and filling out the forms with my cert number for six months. But I've gotten my tank filled at two other dive shops on two occasions and I'm not sure I had to show my c-card then, either. Maybe some shops figure if you have a tank, whoever sold it to you must have checked your credentials. But if you buy your gear used, I doubt the Craigslist rando selling off the stuff he bought when he thought diving was going to be his thing and then it turned out it wasn't is going to turn down your money if you don't bring your c-card when you come over to make the deal. Nor do you have to show proof on the internet. Nobody's checking c-cards at the beach, either. And if all the dive shops in town 86 you, it seems you can just buy a compressor and fill your own tanks.

So that brings up an interesting line of thought. If getting Rescue certified exposes you to too much liability, why get even OW certified? Just buy the gear, teach yourself from books, and go shore diving. If your buddy dies, your utter lack of dive qualifications should render you immune to any charges that you should have been able to rescue him. Hell, maybe you can sue his estate for emotional damages.

Or you could reread the part where no one in this thread has been able to come up with a single example of a diver ever being held liable on account of his Rescue cert, and realize the remote chance of suffering the inconvenience of a lawsuit is nowhere near the risk to life and limb you've already signed up for by diving, and do everything you can to mitigate THAT risk.

[QUOTE
I have never been asked for a cert card to get a fill, let alone go scuba diving. Unless I am diving from someone's boat or property.

markm[/QUOTE]

I can only presume that you don't get out and about much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom