Rescue of an Unconscious Diver Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can recommend reading up on Reductio ad absurdum and False dilemma. You're pretty close - if not way within - those fallacies. It may be that your diving style will bend you like a pretzel if you have to take your unconscious buddy to the surface, but that kind of diving isn't representative for the majority of diving around the world.
Then tell your buddy to send you up on an uncontrolled buoyant ascent if you are ever the victim of a toxing event @Storker . . .

God forbid -if it's Elena you send up because "it's not a given" as you say Pete -in unabashed ignorance. . .
Other than ear bends from CESAs, I don't believe Elena has been bent either. Like me, she doesn't try to push the envelope either. We see your diving as trying to re-invent the envelope without the benefit of science. Neither of us want to be a diving guinea pig.
It may be that your diving style will bend you like a pretzel if you have to take your unconscious buddy to the surface, but that kind of diving isn't representative for the majority of diving around the world.
Thank you for this insight.

Then tell your buddy to send you up on an uncontrolled buoyant ascent if you are ever the victim of a toxing event @Storker . . .
My buddy will be able to make a quick, controlled ascent with me if I tox, and that's what I'll be expecting of them. Just as I'll be able to make a quick, controlled ascent with my buddy if they tox or become unresponsive for some other reason. And my buddy has every right to expect that from me. I might have to breathe down the O2 tank, or spend a few hours in a chamber just to make sure, but that'll be about it. And I'm totally prepared to live with those consequences if my buddy becomes unconscious for some reason, because I'm not comfortable with a dead buddy if I could do anything to prevent them dying.

You're playing reductio ad absurdum and false dilemma once more.

i think a useful endeavor is to practice this a few times and see just how long it takes. and then use that info to hammer into your head how important it is to avoid toxing in the first place.
gas selection, proper bottle marking, solid switching procedures (buddy verification of gas switches)
I've seen what happens when someone toxes underwater and it's not good. if it happens, hope it happens when you aren't in an overhead environment.
http://www.swiss-cave-diving.ch/PDF-dateien/Whiskey-Still-Sink_JamesMiller_11062011.pdf

shooting a diver to the surface is a colossally bad idea. anyone who thinks otherwise is someone to avoid diving with.

Good things can come from ideas that many consider outrageous but you must take the time to prove your hypothesis before killing someone. Arguing with someone who refuses to take the time to research the theoretical concepts before forming an opinion is a lesson in futility.

. . .instead of sending the victim up alone on an uncontrolled buoyant ascent to ultimately embolize and drown on the surface. . .
Your reasoning is flawed here. You treat that as a given when it's not.
Ok Pete. . . I would send you up then in an uncontrolled buoyant ascent into a surface fog bank.

I'll somehow find you later when I finally surface, and start resuscitation efforts then as needed because it's not a given that you'll be immediately unconscious, embolized or drowned. . .
By your own flawed reasoning Pete, you would send up a toxing diver in an uncontrolled ascent because as you say -it's not a given that that diver would embolize and drown. . .

Pete you've been caught . . .don't obfuscate by going off topic ad hominem.

You & @Storker really think buoyantly sending up a toxing diver alone to the surface is a de facto solution in all situations?

shooting a diver to the surface is a colossally bad idea. anyone who thinks otherwise is someone to avoid diving with.
The only one suggesting it so far is @Kevrumbo and he's suggesting that the rest of us are doing that. I'm done trying to help him understand the "nuance" here.

You & @Storker really think buoyantly sending up a toxing diver alone to the surface is a de facto solution in all situations?
I might well be violating the ToS here, but seriously: are you deliberately obtuse, or are you just not able to read for comprehension? Once more, this time in large font, bolded and underlined:
My buddy will be able to make a quick, controlled ascent with me if I tox, and that's what I'll be expecting of them. Just as I'll be able to make a quick, controlled ascent with my buddy if they tox or become unresponsive for some other reason.

Back
Top Bottom