Rescue diver, theory vs practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the misfortune of being involved in a diver rescue and I want to share a couple of insights.

First a quick overview of the incident:
- a pair of divers surfaces and are clearly in disagreement about something. Suddenly, diver #1 turns toward shore (where we were standing) and starts waving and calling for help. Diver #2 is still there. He does not appear to be injured or in distress and he does not attempt to help diver #1 or to assist in raising the alarm.

- Our group decides to send two divers to see what is happening. Upon reaching Diver #1 they have a very short conversation with her and then yell to alert the EMS. They immediately descend after that.

- Divers #1 and #2 swim to shore. Diver #1 is hysterical. Her buddy is missing and (in her words) "laying on the bottom". Diver #2 still appears completely unaffected by events.

- The first EMS unit arrives very quickly and two more divers go in the water to start searching. A boat and a helicoptor are also arriving. All of this amazing amount of material arrived within 5-odd minutes of the first two divers decending. Someone with a snorkel has starting swimming back and forth over the dive area and is taking charge on the surface. All divers nearby are either told to get ready to assist in the search or to get out of the water.

- After about 10 minutes the first two divers arrive back on the surface with the victim. They start rescue breaths and start to remove his equipment. The boat now carrying paramedics goes to meet them and the victim is transferred to the boat. At this point two more divers are searching independently but are obviously unaware of events on the surface.

- After another 10-15 minutes, the two divers still on the bottom decide to split up and continue searching at different depths because one of the pair started with a tank that was not full and is getting low on air. 10 minutes later the low-on-air diver surfaces and 15-20 minutes later the last diver surfaces. This pair did locate some of the diver's equipment but obviously did not find the victim.

========================
Observations / lessons learned
========================

1) Raising the alarm. When diver #1 started to call for help there was initial confusion on shore as to whether or not this was an excercise or something real. This was exacerbated by the fact that Diver #2 was still with her but not doing anything. This resulted in the dive team taking a short time to deliberate (trying to figure out if she was serious or if it was an excercise) before deciding to commit. In theory, a raised alarm is a clear cut thing. In practice it might not be the case. Lesson learned here is that this cost us time and it would have been better in retrospect to send divers directly into the water and decide *after* talking to Diver #1 if further action was necessary.

2) One of the things we did right initially was to send two divers in full scuba into the water right away. I know some instructors say to students in the rescue course that it can be a good idea to first send snorkelers to a distressed diver on the surface because it's quicker. However, I'm now more convinced than ever that sending snorkelers into the water is the SECOND priority in most cases and *certainly* in cases where the diver on the surface is clearly not the diver who needs help. If we had sent snokelers into the water first it would have cost us badly in lost time.

3) We decided not to alert the EMS before talking to Diver #1. Once it was clear what was happening the rescuers signed back to shore first and the YELLED back to shore second to alert the EMS. It didn't lose us any time but in retrospect it would have been best if we had had a clear sign for engaging the EMS *before* the divers had to work it out on the fly. It would have just been one more thing that was clear in a situation that started out tentitively and accelerated very quickly once we were sure things were serious.

4) Coordination on the surface was intially performed by the snorkeler who was #3 in the water and watching bubbles. However, once the victim was out of the water this snorkeler left with the paramedics. Everyone became "tunnel visioned" on the victim. The two rescuers who had just recovered the victim were left floating on the surface with no form of support when the boat left. The two divers on the bottom were forgotten completely. The snorkeller would have seen that they had split up and could have maintained control of the situation by monitoring their bottom time until they surfaced but none of this happened. When the last diver (in this case me) surfaced, the entire dive area was deserted and only my OW students where standing on shore wondering where I was. Two lessons here. First it was very helpful to have a snorkeler coordinating activity on the surface because it was all unfolding very quickly. There was a lot of noise, sirens, helicoptors, people running around, crowds forming and this snorkeller in the water with the big picture. This was a good start but missed the follow-through. The second lesson (obviously) is that the surface support needs to stay in place until all of the divers are accounted for. In theory it's easy to understand this. In practice, people being what they are, will focus all of their energy on helping the victim which can cause loss of task focus.

4b) In terms of procedures like having clear cut search plans, agreed upon dive times and diver recall signals (like banging a hammer on the bottom of the boat, for example), in theory it's all nice but when something like this unfolds then it unfolds with the speed of a fart in a tornado and getting a random group of strangers on the same page with these things in a hurry is simply NOT-going-to-happen. The communication overhead involved in keeping people coordinated on this level would take WAY too much energy and I'm convinced that it still wouldn't work unless you had time to practice it first. Your best bet is to keep search teams small (several 2 person teams) and to put divers on the bottom who know the site well and stay calm and keep thinking under pressure. Secondly, put one person in the water with a snorkel to coordinate on the surface and keep the chaos in the water to a minimum. We ended up doing this (by chance more than by design) and it was fairly effective on the whole even with the sloppy follow-though on the surface support.

5) Once lifted, the victim was ejecting frothy blood from his mouth, presumably from a lung barotrauma or possibly resulting from a heart attack. The rescuers were not prepared for this at all and although they ventilated him, they both said after the fact that it would have been nice if they had been told about this possibility before so they could have been mentally better prepared.

6) It was enormously helpful to have a boat available and it saved a *lot* of time getting the victim out of the water. We didn't acutally request this, someone who heard the ambulance coming jumped into his boat and just came. In retrospect it would have been good to have sent a runner looking for volunteers with a boat but we didn't do that. This was just good luck, I'm afraid to say.

7) Just before I entered the water I saw someone addressing my OW students and went to see what was going on. He was telling them to get their stuff on and get involved in the search. I asked him (impolitely, I'm afraid) if he had asked these divers which certification level they had. I then had to stress to my students before going further that under *no* circumstances were they to get involved regardless of what anyone said to them. At that point (goes to show you how confusing things initially were), one of my students still asked me if this was an excercise ..... Go figure. The obvious message his is that IF you're involved in something like this then for crying out loud, keep your head and make sure you know what people are capable of before you start to order them around. When I decended with that other diver (who I had just met moments before) to go searching, I knew his certification level, deco-status, tank pressure and had a basic understanding of his familiarity with the dive site before we were under water. It only took me 15 seconds to ask these questions. You just can't afford to overlook this stuff or (a) you're going to make mistakes taht cost time and (b) you're going to put people at risk who are not prepared for the task.

8) Still wondering what happened to Diver #2? Nobody seemed to give it much thought at the time because he appeared calm (albeit subdued) but in fact, this was the DM who had been leading the dive and had just seen one of the people under his charge have some kind of major problem that lead to him drowning. In fact, Diver #2 wasn't calm at all. He was in such a massive state of shock that he collapsed after the fact and had to be taken away by the paramedics. The initial "disagreement" that we saw was in fact Diver #1 screaming at him to do something but he was too stunned to even respond. Remember passive panic from the Rescue course? We all missed it.

9) Finally, up until we actually found the victim most of us were *still* working on the assumption that he would surface somewhere else and this whole thing would just end in a big false alarm. The rescuers who found the victim said repeatedly after the fact that it was all "surrealistic" as if it wasn't happening or wasn't serious at all. Once they had the diver on the surface and they saw the blood and they saw how blue he had become they also thought that it was completely pointless to even try reanimating him. I can imagine that a lot of other people would have given up at this point and declared it a lost cause but in fact, the victim *was* reanimated and is still alive now 36 hours after we plucked him up off the bottom. It's still unclear if he's going to make a full recovery or how bad any brain damage will be but by working through this feeling that it wasn't really happening and that it was all pointless the rescue, at least, was successful. I think this surrealistic feeling is a natural human reaction to potentially traumatic events and it probably deserves more air-time in the rescue course.

I don't know how many people on scubaboard have real world experience with rescues like this but it sure showed us a few differences between theory and practice that I thought were important enough to post about. If anyone else has similar insights I'd like to hear them. I hope this is the right part of the forums for this. If not, please move it.

R..

Wow.

Many thanks for (a) getting involved in this rescue and (b) sharing your experiences and thoughts with us. You'll never know how many other people you saved.

Thanks for sharing this. It's timely information as I'm in the middle of my rescue class now. And, thanks for getting invloved. It may have not gone down exactly like it does in theory but imagine how it would have gone if you had no theory/training to put into practice.
My prayers go out to all involved . .the victim as well as the two divers.

Firstly, my thoughts and prayers go to the vicitim - I hope he/she makes a full recovery. They are lucky to be alive.

Secondly - holy crap! I just finished my Rescue Diver last weekend (DM starting in Feb) and I am getting all my fellow students from the class to read this post. It is one of the most educational, relevant posts I have read on this board. There are so many aspects of the course put into real life - it is amazing - so many elements that we learn about, including the passive panic element. The rescue itself was handled fantastically - textbook. Nothing we do in real life is absolute perfection - this was an A-1 effort. All you can ask as a rescuer is to give the victim a fighting chance, and they did just that - hats off to all involved.

Your attention to detail in the relating of the events, and the excellent post-review of the incident is a real gift to those who will read it.

Cheers.....

Diver0001, thank you for sharing this story with scubaBoard. Hopefully, other divers can learn from the incident and in so doing make diving safer for all.

Is is appropriate at this time for you to tell us where this incident occurred?

Thank you for sharing this. I've not been involved in a diver rescue but have noted in other incidents that people do not act and often can't believe that what is in front of them is real.

Here we were taught to contact emergency services immediately. Better to have them on their way and have them stand down than wish you had called earlier. Similarly, all calls for help are genuine until proven otherwise.

I'm a little wary asking the question, but what is the real relationship between experience and panic? Intuitively, I'd expect experienced diver to panic less, but does experience really matter in a situation that is new, confronting and unexpected?

I think having the snorkeler keep up with the team is a good idea, Accountability is a problem with trained Emergency personnel and is even harder with non trained personnel. I am glad that you shared this with us, It takes a lot to prepare for and then to be able to deal with this kind of situation. I hope that Everyone comes out of this well. My thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Thanks for posting this.
There were lots of things to be learned from this experience, and I hope I will remember them if (heaven forfend) I ever have to engage in a rescue. Clearly, when the brown stuff hits the rotating device in real life, it isn't as tidy as it sounds in class!
But whatever could have been done better, the victim was rescued, and lived. That's huge. You deserve a lot of credit, both for participating in the rescue and for sharing your insights with us.

Thanks for sharing this hair raising story with us !!!

Maybe it is because I just got Rescue certified 2 months ago, but as I was reading your story, I have noticed some improper procedures in the rescue attempt.

But again, nothing in a real situation like that is clear cut !!!

In the end, what really matters is that the lost diver was rescued in time and did survive, and that no other diver got injured in the process.

I raise my hat to you and the other divers who participated in the rescue.

At the risk of appearing to jump on the bandwagon, I wanted to say thank you for the post as well. As I was reading your post on this event, it brought to mind two other rescues that I was directly involved in. Aside from filing a report, I've never really had someone else who could relate to what I experienced in those rescues and yes, in real-world emergencies, it is often hard to distinguish the reality of what is going on.

In one rescue, a diver with an unknown pre-existing heart condition suffered a heart attack at the surface of the water just before descending. My co-worker, another instructor, began towing her in to shore immediately as we were not far off. I took charge of the husband and in between towing him in, began frantically waving my hands in the standard - and obvious - distress pattern to divers on shore. But the lone dive instructor on shore who was witnessing this simply waved back to me as if to say "hello." I started screaming "Call 911" AND waving my hands and he just kept waving back. When we got a little closer, he finally figured out that this was real but other onlookers had figured it out as well and were already calling 911. Later, he told me that he didn't respond appropriately b/c he thought I was a little kid waving at him (I'm 5'2 and 125lbs). I asked him if he thought little kids waved their hands in a distress pattern while towing another diver in...but I guess it just seemed to surreal to him?

On another rescue, I was approached by a diver underwater who came racing up to me out of nowhere and was frantic. She came up to me and grabbed me and started trying to bolt to the surface from approx. 20ft. I signaled to my divers who were right next to me to ascend (they were certified) and grabbed her bcd strap on the left and lp hose on the right and began to slowly ascend with her while trying to let her know with my eyes that she was okay. When we reached the surface and I inflated her bcd, she babbled frantically that she had become separated from her group and then quickly began to become unresponsive. I had no idea what the heck was going on but we were not too far from shore so I began to tow her in and monitored her breathing and told my divers to signal to shore for help. They also waved their hands in the standard distress signal while simultaneously shouting "Call 911!" Then, within seconds of surfacing, her original dive instructor came over (apparently he had been searching for her) and said "I got this." I relinquished her to him and briefed him very quickly on what had just transpired and he stated that she was fine and just in an extreme state of panic. He then, to my horror, signaled to shore that she was fine by giving the "Ok" sign. I was watching this woman become almost unconscious and told him I thought we should still call 911 - he said no, it was fine. After a bit of arguing, I told my divers to continue their distress signal and I joined them while he finished towing her in. To the onlookers on shore, they were watching divers give the distress signal AND the okay signal. It was absolutey confusing to them! Fortunately, someone decided it was better to be safe than sorry and help was called.

In both instances, a real emergency occurred but the people on shore couldn't decide what to do because in the first instance, they didn't think it was real and in the second instance, they were getting mixed messages. Both divers were rescued in time, so there is a happy ending, but each rescue, for me, highlighted how chaotic things can get and also how even experienced divers like this one dive instructor who reclaimed his diver, can undergo passive panic and not respond appropriately.

Again, thanks for sharing your insights. Believe it not, I found it very helpful to read that someone else experienced some of what I went through and your observations about what was done and what could have been done differently are excellent.

Back
Top Bottom