Rescue Diver course on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I could do the cab ride thing. I'm going to be based out of West End this time. Just hate dealing with cabs if I can avoid it. Do you remember how many days your course took?

Two to Three days, depending upon your stamina and preparation. 4 Dives are required. Do the E-Learning method, do the bookwork back in Ohio, do the CPR component at your local Red Cross,
do the wet stuff in paradise.

Why take a cab? I've done that to dive at cocoview and it's a real pain in the butt. Check out a few places you've been recommended in West End. I like West End Divers. Talk to the dive op owners if you can but at least the manager. Find out what you can about what you'll be put through. But I've heard that Tyll's will give you a strong course.

Contact Will Wellbourn at Coconut Tree Divers/Go Pro Caribbean. He's the longest active CD on Roatan so must be doing something right. PADI Rescue Diver | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

Otherwise I've read that Gary Miller at Barefoot runs a good program. PADI Divemaster Internship | Eco Divemaster Internship with Shark Conservation

Barefoot shuttles their DM candidates to/from their DM house in the West End daily so maybe you could work out a ride.
Their DM hoouse is near the gas station - a short distance inland.

Although personally I'd find someone in the West End and save the hassle.

Why take a cab? I've done that to dive at cocoview and it's a real pain in the butt. Check out a few places you've been recommended in West End. I like West End Divers. Talk to the dive op owners if you can but at least the manager. Find out what you can about what you'll be put through. But I've heard that Tyll's will give you a strong course.

Contact Will Wellbourn at Coconut Tree Divers/Go Pro Caribbean. He's the longest active CD on Roatan so must be doing something right. PADI Rescue Diver | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

Otherwise I've read that Gary Miller at Barefoot runs a good program. PADI Divemaster Internship | Eco Divemaster Internship with Shark Conservation

Barefoot shuttles their DM candidates to/from their DM house in the West End daily so maybe you could work out a ride.

Yes, I think he is missing the point that there are many dive operators in Roatan, including those in the West End where he is staying that will provide him with a great rescue course experience.

Didn't do the divemaster course with them but they would be my first choice if I could leave my job for 8 weeks........Reef Gliders....talk to Rian or Mickey. Amazing atmosphere and they have the most passion for diving of any op I've been diving with. Really amazingly run place...and a bonus is, if you complete the divemaster you dive there for free....forever.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2014 at 11:00 PM ----------

I agree.....too much hassle...it's pretty far to go every single morning, even if they are shuttling you.
I did get to meet Gary and his wife...I was trudging my way down the main road after Barefoot closed with all my dive gear over my shoulders at the end of my day spent at Barefoot Cay and I was hoping to catch a taxi or collectivo back to West End. BTW I realized I had forgotten to fill my water bottle and it was very, very hot...I walked about a mile when Gary and his wife drove by on their way home, saw me and pulled over and told me to get in....they drove me all the way to Sandy Bay and the whole time I asked questions about their DM course....it does sound very thorough but the shuttling back and forth put me off....they were such nice people though, to offer me a ride...

Reef gliders is an excellent dive shop very professional been diving there for years you won't be disappointed

Im doing my AOW next week with Sun Divers. Asked my hotel contact, who was previously a DM with a couple of ops there and knows the ropes. Told her I Was not happy with a previous op's class that got Rubber stamped and she recommended Sun Divers. Ill report back next week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom