Requirements for NAUI Advanced Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only regulatory agency that has anything to do with the scuba industry is the Department of Transportation ... that requires scuba cylinders to be hydro'd every five years. Everything else about scuba diving is either recommendation or done out of concern for potential liability ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Or, like with AOW, done with concern for the bottom line.

Whoops! Did that slip out? my bad.

Or, like with AOW, done with concern for the bottom line.

Whoops! Did that slip out? my bad.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there. If you didn't get anything out of your AOW class, that's at least partly your fault for choosing an inadequate instructor or not approaching the class with the intent to learn anything. And partly the instructor's fault for not trying hard enough to teach you what you were there to learn.

A properly taught AOW class isn't "done with concern for the bottom line". It's done primarily to help you progress to more challenging conditions without undue exposure to risks that could kill you out of sheer ignorance.

Frankly, I taught for 12 years, and did it primarily as a hobby. My bottom line came out of my regular job, where I could earn in an hour what it took me many hours of teaching scuba to earn.

Nobody ever got rich teaching scuba lessons ... that's not why most of us do it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only regulatory agency that has anything to do with the scuba industry is the Department of Transportation ... that requires scuba cylinders to be hydro'd every five years. Everything else about scuba diving is either recommendation or done out of concern for potential liability ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sorry for my poor wording. By "regulatory agency" I was referring to PADI, NAUI, et al.

Sorry for my poor wording. By "regulatory agency" I was referring to PADI, NAUI, et al.

Those are training agencies. They have no power to regulate anything except membership into their own particular organizations ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SCUBA is SCUBA because of bottled air and Padi &etc can restrict my access to that air.

SCUBA is SCUBA because of bottled air and Padi &etc can restrict my access to that air.

PADI does not restrict your air, dive shops do. You can always go and buy a compressor.

Bob

No, they cannot. Agencies only have authority over what goes on in classes ... and even then only in classes that come with a c-card with their name on it.

Dive shops can restrict your access to air ... but dive shops frequently also provide air to people who play paintball, which has nothing to do with SCUBA.

And yes, if you want it badly enough ... or have sufficient funds ... nothing prevents you from purchasing and operating your own air compressor. You then don't even need a c-card to go diving, although I highly recommend you get one before you do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My recommendation is to take the AOW class if you want. It's not too early.

New divers need to spend more time in the water. They need build good habits and develop confidence. If you can do that under the watch of a good instructor, it will make you a better and safer diver.

In the AOW class you will also get exposure to different dive types. You will have to deal with additional task loading and you will get a chance to focus on making some of your basic skills better.

Back
Top Bottom