Req. for advice with new Dive Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The three directional skegs on the bottom of the kayak seem like they would be easily broken or damaged by the weight of the kayak when it is inflated and sitting on them on a firm surface like the grassy bank of a lake.

I've taken it out on the lake a couple of time and have just been concerned about those little plastic fins on the bottom being damaged while I inflate the kayak and drag it to the water.

Anyone with one of these kayaks (Sevylor ST-66969 two person) have any experience with them breaking?

megnin:
Neither of us have ever even been on a kayak before, but we wanted something to get us out past the first reef and maybe to some of the wrecks here in Fort Lauderdale...SNIP
YES! Finally a local diveyak person! I've been using one for about a year now from Lauderdale by the Sea (I live at Hibiscus & El Mar).

We have the same model, and I've been out a few dozen times alone and with a partner.

I only go on calm days because it's tough getting to the good spots on windy days - the diveyak tracks like a log in chop - but on those nice ones I am frequently diving next to a local dive boat doing the 2nd shallow-reef dive!

My advice is to just not go in surf, wind and swells. It's just not worth it. Even the local Kayuba club doesn't go and they have conventional kayaks.

There are two really good spots off of Lauderdale by the Sea/north Fort Lauderdale. At the balls from the Palms (the big pink skyscraper between Oakland Park and Sunrise - can't miss it) you'll find some nice reef patches that remind me of Molassas Reef in the Keys... just smaller and with a lot less color and life lol.

North of Angler's Pier, about where Sandy Shoes used to be (yes, it's being dismantled) there are three sets of balls. In that area you'll find some big coral patches and a lot to look at.

Best practice is to take two cars - one to drop and one to pick up. This requires somebody to swim quite a way out to determine the current's direction. Then paddle out from down current and drift dive a mile, paddle (or swim) in to your pick up car. Wear the diveyak like a flag.

Of course you can just paddle out and then back in, with the option of tying to the balls or wearing your diveyak... you won't need to bring your anchor.

Let's get a group 'Yak dive together sometime when this wind finally stops blowing!

MikeJacobs:
Let's get a group 'Yak dive together sometime when this wind finally stops blowing!

That's a great idea. We'd love that.

We took the 'Yak out yesterday at Hibiscus. Ended up going out twice. It was our first attempt in the ocean and the waves were pretty choppy so we took no gear the first time. I hadn't inflated it quite enough so I was sagging a bit and we decided to go back in and add a bit of air and grab out fins and masks and the anchor. We went back out and anchored and had a great time.

I was surprised at how easy it was to get out through the surf. Going over the larger waves was also no problem. Coming back in was even easier, but a bit tricky. We just rode the waves in. The second time in a big wave almost bent us in half just before we got to the shore.

Today we are going to try in on the lake with all of our dive gear aboard. We've been taking it in steps... Lake with no gear; ocean with no gear; ocean with minimal gear; now lake with full dive gear before attempting the ocean with full dive gear.

We definitely wouldn't attempt it with full dive gear on a day like yesterday though. That was a lot of fun, but I don't think we would have managed so well with a full load of dive gear. ;-)

We talked to Greg and Joan for a bit after we were done playing. Greg said he'd come out when the water temp was 80' ;-)

THAT WAS YOU! If I wasn't in work clothes and in a hurry to meet somebody for lunch I would have went down to say hi.

You all know what conditions are like now - "Maytag" is the term, right? You made it through the surf zone and over the reef without a problem. Of course, you didn't have tanks, but you were cruisin'! Tanks would have made a minor difference, IME.

So Matt may be taking the 'Yak out this week if anybody's interested. He leaves on Saturday so if anybody can do a week-day 'Yak trip off Hibiscus in Lauderdale by the Sea please call me and I'll hook you up: 954/649/0666.

I personally don't go out under rough conditions... been there done that. I like it calm and clear, when I can paddle a mile or two in either direction for the better areas - not that the drop-off at the balls isn't something of interest to any dive kayak enthusiast... it's just that I've been there a dozen times or so.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom