Report on Grand Cayman Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a cruise of the Western Caribbean which included Grand Cayman as a port. We were able to scuba dive one of the shore dives there. There are actually two shore dives off the downtown area of Georgetown which were recommended to us. For cruiseship passengers, it is fairly easy to locate. As soon as the tender boats arrive at the pier, we walked to the right and less than 5 minutes, we arrived at Eden Rocks Dive Centre. Don't be fooled by a new competitor they have just before it. Eden Rocks Dive Centre is closer to the dive sites than their new competitor.

Cayman Islands are relatively expensive for diving with an average of $85 US for a two tank boat dive trip. However, with limited time as with cruiseship passengers, we were able to do decent diving for much less. If you are bringing all your gear except for tanks and weights, you can rent them for about $10 US. Even renting complete gear will run much less than a boat trip. Eden Rocks has a patio with lockers in the back and an area with a ladder where the entry to the water is. The two dive sites are called Eden Rocks and Devil's Grotto. They are reached with a short swim out towards some various buoys that mark the sites.

We ended up doing Devil's Grotto which had some nice coral formations. The maximum depth was about 46 feet with a water temperature of about 80 degrees. The visibility was even better than what we experienced in Key Largo just a few days prior. There was a very nice large swim through tunnel and several smaller ones throughout the site. Inside the large tunnel, we saw a large resident tarpon. The fish life including parrotfish, groupers and tangs was healthy at this shore dive and it is interesting to note that it even exists so close to the cruiseships. Other divers said they saw some turtles too.

We would like to do the other shore dive site, Eden Rocks which is to the right of Devil's Grotto during the next time we are in Grand Cayman. These sites are ideal for beginner level divers. My partner was a newly certified diver and had no problems with this shore dive.

Glad to hear that Eden Rocks is back open. We will be there in March on a cruise.

I will add that Eden Rock is also a great snorkeling site. If you have a non-diver with you, they will enjoy snorkeling here. We even saw a fairly large shark below us in a canyon between coral, while snorkeling at Eden Rock. If you're carrying gear from the tender drop off site to the dive site, be sure you have a roller bag. It's a do-able walk with rollers, but would be a killer carrying on the shoulders. At least it would be for wimpy me.

Foo

cleung:
...We would like to do the other shore dive site, Eden Rocks which is to the right of Devil's Grotto during the next time we are in Grand Cayman. These sites are ideal for beginner level divers. My partner was a newly certified diver and had no problems with this shore dive.
It's really similar to the Grotto.

If you go again, take a cab south to Sunset House, it's a two minute drive, but too far to walk. Dive with the Mermaid - Amphitrite in 50'. They have better reef structures there than Eden Rock imho and great faciliities, including a concrete jetty with steps. Also My Bar can't be beat for atmosphere and sandwiches post-dive.
The Cathy Church U/W Photography Center is in the basement of the main building, it's worth a look, she sells some great images there.

my .02

caymancase:
You might want to check to see if Sunset House is ready for you yet?
Here's a link http://sunsethouse.com/resort.php
Have a fun trip! Casey
Bob G. on this board mentioned that he heard they re-opened on the 9th. He mentioned he used to work there so I thought the info was good. Any updates from your vantage point? I saw the latest posting from their GM which said sometime in January 2005 so I assumed they'd be open by March. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't think they would be ready.

How are things at Neptune Divers? I think we corresponded last year before my trip there.

Steve

Sunset House has opened, i was out diving with them the other day. Shore diving is closed at the moment but that is because of the north westerly, as far as i am aware there is no boat diving this week but that is just because there are no guests staying this week. But if my memory serves me correctly (and the north wester has gone,) the next boast diving will be on Saturday.

Good news on Sunset House! I haven't been there in a few months so I'm not up to date as far as where they stand. I haven't seen their boats out and around and didn't know if the shore diving was open. Is My Bar open?
Hopefully those winds are going to cut back tomorrow, Bob G. Dove West Side today despite the wind and it was nice.
sjspeck, Neptune's is doing great. Been out diving pretty much everyday since Christmas. It's great to be back in the water!
Casey

Casey,

Where did you launch to get out west side? I was supposed to be doing the underwater video thing today but because the cruise ships could not off load the visiting tourists there was no one to video. I spoke to some of the guys at RedSail and they have been launching from somewhere around whats left of the old south sound dock, but their resident rates are a little pricey, and they are doing two shallow dives rather than a wall then shallow.

The water seems to be calming down, hopefully will be out Friday and Saturday.

Not too sure when My Bar will open again, i think they are still working on it.

BG - night dive tonight off Mariners (formerly) or Prospect Reef. Followed by recompression at Country & Western - always a winning formula.

Back
Top Bottom