Replacing Sherwood The Source with a new computer - reusing console if possible...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ican

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I have a very old Sherwood The Source dive computer that came with the rig I bought, and it's the only part of the console that no longer functions. It is the old model with a non-user replaceable battery, and my local shop doesn't have the tools to replace it, even though they are a Sherwood service center. I'm looking for another Sherwood or Oceanic computer that will fit in the same console boot as the original computer, but I don't know what size the newer computers are without having one in my hand. I would even be ok with another The Source computer, as long as it was the user-replaceable type, and it doesn't have to be "new in box." As long as it is serviceable and works as intended, I will be quite happy with it. Hope you guys can help figure out which computers will fit in the original console, because I'd like to reuse the pressure gauge and compass, and not spend $250+ on a new setup when I already have everything except the computer. Eventually, whatever I get will end up being my backup. For now, doing rec dives to around 65 feet (I don't really care to go deeper yet), I don't feel the need to buy something so expensive that I won't be able to afford tank fills and dive trips.

So I have a very old Sherwood The Source dive computer that came with the rig I bought, and it's the only part of the console that no longer functions. It is the old model with a non-user replaceable battery, and my local shop doesn't have the tools to replace it, even though they are a Sherwood service center. ...

Pictures? Measurements of the computer?

A quick google images check shows it to be the standard hockey puck style, which should make it easy to find a replacement. If the console is rubber, bend and twist it a bit while pushing on the back of the computer and it'll pop out. As long as the new one is round and thick like a hockey puck it should pop right back in.

Is it this one? Because that looks like a standard width puck model. The Source Dive Computer by Sherwood | eBay Measure yours - is it 1.75" across? - that's a standard size.

If your console is hard rubber, I think the only "tools" needed is to soak it a few minutes in warm water then pry the module out somehow.

Sherwood sells their Profile as a "capsule" but it's going to be $250 or so - they sell it with the wrist mount for $300. They don't list the width but do on their Insight - it's 1.75". That's pretty standard unless the computer has a bigger screen - or it's a Suunto. I think some are 2" also.

I'd check some dealers in your area, call Scubatoys and a couple of the bigger on-line stores. It's possible they have a module they pried out of a console while upgrading another one. One of my shops had one in the case for a year before someone bought it - add a wrist mount or a hose boot and it's a good backup.

Reactions: Jax
If you are thinking about scrapping the battery dead computer you could attempt the battery change on your own.
First remove the black outer ring on the base of the computer- It is important to make sure there are no cracks in the housing which can be a problem with older computers.
After you remove the outer ring gently remove the base which is sealed by an o-ring Be caerfull not to damage the wires to the pressure sensor or damage the o-ring so you can reuse it.
Once the base has been removed you will see the battery. If memory serves it is a 1/2AA 3.6 volt but it might also be a 1/2AA 3 volt Once you confirm which battery you need get a replacement install and re-assemble.

It is not overly challenging but remember the housing base may be brittle and crack. If a crack goes to the sealing o-ring it will leak and flood.

If you are thinking about scrapping the battery dead computer you could attempt the battery change on your own.
First remove the black outer ring on the base of the computer- It is important to make sure there are no cracks in the housing which can be a problem with older computers.
After you remove the outer ring gently remove the base which is sealed by an o-ring Be caerfull not to damage the wires to the pressure sensor or damage the o-ring so you can reuse it.
Once the base has been removed you will see the battery. If memory serves it is a 1/2AA 3.6 volt but it might also be a 1/2AA 3 volt Once you confirm which battery you need get a replacement install and re-assemble.

It is not overly challenging but remember the housing base may be brittle and crack. If a crack goes to the sealing o-ring it will leak and flood.

Does it just pull off, or twist off? Also, the seal of the pressure sensor is punctured... I think I'll need to find a replacement for it as well if I replace the battery... I just noticed the puncture yesterday, when I unscrewed the 3-hole cover for the sensor.

It is the standard width of 1.75", but it is much thicker than other computers I've seen. I'll check out the links you guys posted here to see if either of those computers fit in my boot.

The Black outer ring screws off. I am not sure if you will be able to find a pressure sensor other than from another old computer.

As a note- even if a computer is the same width (you said 1.75") does not mean it will fit your current console. There are several slightly different ways that the computers are held in place. varied manufacturers build things differently, and even newer models from the same manufacturer could vary.

The Genesis computer mentioned will fit but the Scubapro will not.

The Black outer ring screws off. I am not sure if you will be able to find a pressure sensor other than from another old computer.

As a note- even if a computer is the same width (you said 1.75") does not mean it will fit your current console. There are several slightly different ways that the computers are held in place. varied manufacturers build things differently, and even newer models from the same manufacturer could vary.

The Genesis computer mentioned will fit but the Scubapro will not.

Thank you guys for your help. I got the computer apart, but with the tear in the pressure sensor, I'm sure it won't matter anyway, unless there's a way to repair the sensor without replacing it. I thought about using super glue, but realized the flexibility and softness is probably what makes it pressure sensitive in the first place... making it hard by applying any kind of glue would defeat the purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom