Replacing battery on dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats kind of elitist sounding of you.. even the wealthiest people like to save a buck, thats why they have extra.

Wealthy people don't get wealthy because they save a buck. They get wealthy by making a lot of bucks.

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 03:58 PM ----------

:cool2:I received my battery replacement kit. I measured the o-ring and it looks like it is an AS568-026. Boy is this a racket. O-ring package of 100 for $5.52 on Amazon. I've seen the batteries for under a dollar US. That must be some expensive grease. I'll order some o rings when I get back from vacation and do a direct comparison.:D

You could take the o-ring to a hardware store and see if you can find something similar in size and thickness.

I've been reusing the O-ring for several years now and it ain't leaked yet. I don't know what brand the OEM replacement kit is (Panasonic or Sony, I think) but they drain pretty quick. I use Energizer or Duracell and those things last over two years instead of one year with the factory kit and the low battery symbol already came on.

You don't change the o-ring on a tank every time you mount a a reg on it, nor every time you close the camera housing. Just check the o-ring carefully. I used a magnifying glass (I have bad eyesight) and run my fingers around it to make sure it has not picked up a piece of grit or hair. If you jam a screwdriver or knife into to it to pry open the computer up, then its replacement time.

My Aeris XR1 and XR1NX use the 026 o-ring and for some reason I recall reading that so do the Sherwoods. Anyway, a good hardware store will have these - take your old one along to compare.

We also used one of my spare 026 rings in my buddy's Suunto (Vyper? I think).

Reused or new, be careful when you apply the silicone. Don't pull the o-ring through your fingers or you might stretch it.

Back
Top Bottom