Replacement hose for mid 90's USD micra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randini

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all,
I need to get a new hose for my ~1996 US Divers Micra reg (I bought it new in 96). It has the massive SEA type first stage on which the four LP ports are of two different sizes, there are three standard 3/8" (one has my BC inflater, one my octo connected to it and the third is plugged) and a larger sized port that looks to be a 1/2", where my micra goes into. I've been to the Aqualung shop here in Chile and they're about as useless as having a belly button on your elbow - they just called it a maxi port and don't have anything for it (neither a hose nor a plug). Nor do any other LDS that I went to. I'm going to order a new hose from one of the online shops in the US and be done with it, (I might even just plug it and get a regular 3/8 to put in the currently plugged port) but before I do, a couple of questions:

Can somebody confirm that this "maxi" port is in fact a 1/2" port? It's definitely larger than the 7/16" of the HP ports.

I'd like to try out a braided hose, so: does anybody know of a braided hose (e.g myflex, phantom, etc) with this port size? Seems all the ones I've found come with the standard 3/8" thread. Anybody know of any issues using a 3/8" hose in the 1/2" port with the 1/2"to 3/8" port adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Good grief....professional dive shops who don't know about 1/2 LP ports...hope they don't do service work..
You have 2 options, get a 1/2 LP hose (yes it's 1/2) or IMO a better option is to get a 1/2 male to 3/8 female adapter and a common 3/8 hose. That is what I use on my SEA...a Miflex actually so there is no problem using them with the adapter.

fantastic! Thanks herman, that's just what I wanted to hear. Your second option with the miflex is exactly what I'm aiming for.

Unfortunately, yes, they do do service work and I've had quite a few headaches with them in that department. As the tech was reaching for my reg, I grabbed it off the counter before he could and just pointed out what I wanted him to see and would not let him take it from me.

I've got the same first stage and did exactly what Herman did.

While clunky, I prefer it as a travel reg. The 2 things that are most likely to give you problems are the HP seat and the balance chamber Orings and on that reg, both parts are very easy to get to with just an allen wrench making remote repairs very easy.

Actually, it's very easy. The HP seat just drops in and I carry a spare balance chamber so it's a drop in repair as well.

Cheers gang. I'm ordering the adapter and braided flex hose today. Scuba.com has the H2O Rhino on sale for half the price of the miflex so I'll probably just go with that.

@herman: allen? Mine must be older has it has slots on both sides for a screwdriver. Not that it matters at this point since I know enough to know that I'm not opening up my reg myself until I get some training in servicing regs.

@buddahsummer: thanks for the tip. I've noticed that the exhaust bubbles bother me only after I've dove my other reg before going back to the micra and only when setting up a photo. I usually just tilt my head down a little more and redirect the bubbles under my chin, but I'm interested in what you did. What T did you use? Did it fit right on or did you need to do any mods to get it to fit?

Cheers gang. I'm ordering the adapter and braided flex hose today. Scuba.com has the H2O Rhino on sale for half the price of the miflex so I'll probably just go with that.

@herman: allen? Mine must be older has it has slots on both sides for a screwdriver. Not that it matters at this point since I know enough to know that I'm not opening up my reg myself until I get some training in servicing regs.

@buddahsummer: thanks for the tip. I've noticed that the exhaust bubbles bother me only after I've dove my other reg before going back to the micra and only when setting up a photo. I usually just tilt my head down a little more and redirect the bubbles under my chin, but I'm interested in what you did. What T did you use? Did it fit right on or did you need to do any mods to get it to fit?

They came out with a wider exhaust T you should be able to order one from any AL dealer, was around $20 from memory and swaps out easily. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom