replacement harness webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoyoguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I would like to replace the webbing on my one piece harness for my backplate. I have heard some webbing is softer than others...etc. I think id prefer a softer webbing. What brand should I look into getting? If softness is a bad idea...let me know why. Thanks!

I prefer stiffer webbing. It seems (to me anyway) to make it easier to don and doff my BP. DSS sells the stuff I like.

Everyone has a preference, I've tried hard (resin impregnated) and soft. Hard doesn't dig into your shoulders but doesn't have the flexibility of soft. The only webbing I use now is Halcyon, it's firm, flexible and a bit thinner which makes it easy to thread and modify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer stiffer webbing. It seems (to me anyway) to make it easier to don and doff my BP. DSS sells the stuff I like.

My thought was originally the stiffer ones might cause excess ware on my drysuit...maybe this is an incorrect assumption

I have tried a few different types of webbing. I prefer the stiffer webbing. As was already stated, it just makes it easier to get in and out of.
I get my webbing and hardware from DGX. Can't beat the prices and customer service.

My thought was originally the stiffer ones might cause excess ware on my drysuit...maybe this is an incorrect assumption

1,000 BP/W dives with no sign of drysuit wear.

I also prefer the H ​webbing. Goldilocks... not too stiff, not too soft. Just right.

I am the dissenter of the BP/W crowd in that I don't have any issue with an incredibly soft harness. I bought whatever I could find in the right dimensions and I think I paid about $6 for a 100 foot roll. I can get at least 4 more harnesses out of it. (I've made 2 or 3 so far.) I don't have anywhere near thousands of dives (or hundreds for that matter) but the strength rating on the webbing is perfectly fine. I haven't noticed a lot of excess difficulty donning/doffing my kit compared to those I've tried with stiffer webbing but I have fairly flexible shoulders too.

If in doubt, get what you had before and move on... no point reinventing the wheel.

Last edited:
1,000 BP/W dives with no sign of drysuit wear.

I think a lot of that depends on suit material.

A buddy of mine had his crotch strap (with a neo sleeve on it) wear a HUGE hole in this FLX. TLS material generally holds up well to harness stuff, I think because its 'slick'.

Back
Top Bottom