Repetitive Dive-Deeper Than Earlier Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drogerstn

Registered
Reaction score
Do all of the computers allow for diving deeper on a repetitive dive? I'm shopping for a new computer and I don't know if this is something I should be concerned about when comparing computers.

"All?" That's a pretty expansive group. I've never heard of one that won't allow deeper diving on a repetitive dive, but that doesn't mean that such a thing doesn't exist.

Be careful. Although reverse profile dives are nowadays generally accepted (within significant limits), I'd suggest that you need to find out whether or not this issue matters to you. A good place to start is with the Reverse Dive Profile Workshop. Search the web for more info.

Held in 1999, part of the conclusion the conference reached was: "It was pointed out that practical diving experience showed that there had not been many problems with reverse profiles, but that bubble models showed that there could be. The sentiment prevailed also that there should be a pressure differential limit, or "deltaP," noting that most of the safely executed reverse profiles were 12 msw (40 fsw) or less between the repetitive dives. Another point of agreement was that the sport diving limit of 40 msw or 130 fsw should still apply to any relaxation of current prohibitions on reverse profile diving. "

If you don't know a reduced gradient bubble model from a "deltaP" or can't explain the paragraph above, you should fall back on your training, which probably says "No reverse profile dives!"

Never forget - this is an extreme sport. Bad decisions in this sport can kill you.

Deepest Dive First? Not Anymore

Reverse Profiles: Are They Okay, Now?

Always Do Your Deep Dive First?

Reverse Dive Profiles Workshop

Reefraff, great information. You are correct about "all"; I had a tough time figuring out how to phrase my question. Luckily, my math is better than my english, so I have no problems with the models.

Basically, I am trying to find out if some computers will lock the user out from using reverse profile dives. The two computers on top of my list right now are the Suunto Vyper and the Cressi-Sub Arhimede. Information on the Vyper states it will provide data for reverse profile diving; I need to check on the Archimede. From the general information that I have read, it appears to be common for computers (all?) to provide this data for the user and to continue to operate normally if the diver goes deeper on the repetitive dive.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom