repairing Faber steel cylinder ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Last week I had an accident that seriously chipped some of the paint off one of my Faber LP95's ... several square inches along the crown were down to bare metal. I did some research this past week, and decided that the best thing to use to repair it was the porcelain enamel glaze they use to fix sinks and tubs ... they sell repair kits of the stuff at Home Depot for about $3.

So I carefully scraped the loose enamel (carefully, or you end up with a bare tank), used a soft sanding block to smooth out the edges, and rinsed it with Simple Green followed by fresh water. Dried it thoroughly, and applied four coats of the enamel glaze. Another light sanding, and you can hardly tell it was damaged.

Time will tell how it holds up ... but this stuff looks much sturdier than regular enamel.

Wondering if anyone else has had to repair a baked-enamel finish on a cylinder, and if so how you did it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I haven't had to do mine yet, but need to. Nice big gouge across one of my 108's. I was told the method you used was as good as it gets. I assume as long as you keep maintaining the galvanized paint in the way you portrayed you shouldn't have any issues with rust.

Matt

Just a note of caution.

If there is any damage to the metal you should get a good VIP done. There are clear standards on how much damage is too much.

Of course, if there is no damage to the metal, fixing the paint as soon as possible is a good idea.

But you guys know all of this already, right?

Snowbear:
So are ya gonna tell us what happened? :D

Actually, I posted about it twice already ... and both times it disappeared when the board crashed.

The crow was yummy, though ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Now I think I understand the REAL reason for the... "crash"..... :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom