repairing a torn fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raven397

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all,
I noticed a couple of months ago that I had gotten a small V-shaped tear in the center of the blade on one of my fins. I ignored it, then went diving for a week in Florida. the tear lengthened, to about 3/4 inch or so on each side of the V.
naturally, I want to repair it before it spreads further. I checked with a pal of mine who runs a boat repair shop, and he suggested using a bicycle or car tire repair kit. He said to rough up both sides of the fin with sandpaper, then put a patch on both sides.
does this sound like a feasible plan?:D

Depending on the tear, you can keep it from getting bigger by using a hole punch at the base of the “V”. Tire repair or sometimes wetsuit glue can work, but it depends a lot on the material. If it is a rubber-like material (like a Jet Fin) rather than a plastic blade, it works well to chuck a small hole punch in a slow speed drill rather than hammer the punch trough.

I don't know about the tire patching idea. Might work with rubber fins.

In Puerto Galera, one of the dive masters had splits on both fin pockets. He took them to the shoe repair guy that works on the street in one of the alley ways, and had them stitched[!]. Said it's worked out great.

I've also seen fin blade repairs done with rivets and thin aluminum strips. In SE Asia you have to be pretty creative at times.

I had a torn fin for a while, I was trying to get the last bit of life out of a pair of $5 fins. One good kick on a dive one day and it split right above the foot pocket. I fixed it by buying another pair of fins....I'm afraid that might be your solution too.

I had a torn fin for a while, I was trying to get the last bit of life out of a pair of $5 fins. One good kick on a dive one day and it split right above the foot pocket. I fixed it by buying another pair of fins....I'm afraid that might be your solution too.

Please don't give non DIY answers to DIY questions. :no: :rofl3:

My old Mares Quattros were splitting along the channels, so I shortened them by 3 inches and they seem to work as well as my newer unaltered pair! They'll definitely pack easier for trips! :D

Dave C

hi all,
I noticed a couple of months ago that I had gotten a small V-shaped tear in the center of the blade on one of my fins. I ignored it, then went diving for a week in Florida. the tear lengthened, to about 3/4 inch or so on each side of the V.

You could replicate the condition on your other fin and end up with a pair of splits! :rofl3:

A picture could help.

But if it were me, I'd drill it, then (something I've been thinking of doing...) covering it up with a vinyl sticker for that carbon fiber look.

notcarbonfibersheet.jpg

It might not work in the long run, but let us know... (or I just might try doing that to a ratty pair of Mares Planas that I have...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom