Question Repair worth it or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a Santi e-motion, it's about 8 years old. I retired it from full time duty last year when I got an O'Three. Thought I'd keep it as a back up as if I'm diving alone I can't get into my O'Three rear zip suit.

Anyway, used it last weekend and got kinda wet, I can see many many many tiny pin holes all over the lower back of the suit from where the plate rubs. There is no way I can fix all these holes with aqua seal, it needs a whole patch put on it as the area is quite large. There's a fair amount of aqua seal on it already from previous pin holes.

My question, I was going to get the wrist seals replaced and get kubi fitted gloves attached to the suit, I already own the Kubi gloves, given the age of the suit I'm wondering if I'm just going to end up sinking good money after bad trying to keep this suit alive.

In short, do you think it's time to bury the suit? I'm not rich so dropping money on pointless "buying time" repairs is not something I want to do.

Given the plethora of pin holes all over the back im guessing it's dead and not worth spending money chasing my tale as no doubt other areas of the suit will soon give way too due to age and the delicateness of this material,

Thank you.

I have tons of tips but I don't think your mate lexvile will approve

Time to retire it or have a professional redo the back and possibly add some anti abrasion patch to counter wear from the SS plate.

Time to retire it or have a professional redo the back and possibly add some anti abrasion patch to counter wear from the SS plate.
I guess my hesitation with any repair is that much like a very old car it can become a never ending thing. The emotion suit is not renowned for its robustness even when new.

Looks like retirement is on the cards.

Thank you.

I have tons of tips but I don't think your mate lexvile will approve
You should probably spend more time worrying about my approval or offer some help, Simon can decide for himself.

for me, I would keep patching and diving but every suit has a practical life, the hard part is recognizing it.

You should probably spend more time worrying about my approval or offer some help, Simon can decide for himself.

for me, I would keep patching and diving but every suit has a practical life, the hard part is recognizing it.
Taking a closer look at the suit, I can see thin patches all over the place. The writing is on the wall, I think recognition has been been acheived.

RIP Santi.

Taking a closer look at the suit, I can see thin patches all over the place. The writing is on the wall, I think recognition has been been acheived.

RIP Santi.

Not saying for me as I don't want it at all, but instead of trashing it you could always sell it cheap / give it away to someone who doesn't have a drysuit (obviously with the understanding it needs work).

Good way for someone to try their hand at gluing and have a go at a drysuit. Just a thought. I hate to see old gear get tossed when you know someone out there would be willing to dump their time into bringing it back to life.

Not saying for me as I don't want it at all, but instead of trashing it you could always sell it cheap / give it away to someone who doesn't have a drysuit (obviously with the understanding it needs work).

There is a Free title prefix in case you go that route. If nothing else, it would be a great suit to learn in so a person can get a better idea of the features they want and how to make repairs.

1646685751565.png

Back
Top Bottom