repair old equipment or buy new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwharris

New
Reaction score
I have been out of diving for 20 years> I have a poseidon cyclone regulator and I wonder if I should have it rebuilt or buy a new one. thanks

IMHO anything that old i would buy a new one. things have changed 100% in the last 5 years or so and 20 years is way back there.

steve

I wonder how much the Cyclone has changed in the last 20 years?

I bought a new Cyclone about a year ago after talking to two regulator repair technicians while trying to get my Dacor serviced, who both dove with a Cyclone, then the following Monay, Discount Divers sent me an e-mail with the Cyclone on sale for $100.00 off. That was all the sign I needed to go for it.

DivemasterSteve:
IMHO anything that old i would buy a new one. things have changed 100% in the last 5 years or so and 20 years is way back there.

steve

Hmmmmm... let's see 100% in 5 years. Since the cyclon has been around since the 50's let's multiply that by 10. Hmmm 1000% ? Not likely. The Poseidon cyclon has been around since the 50's and has not changed since. The only limit that you have with the older Poseidon's is that they have that higher IP which limits your use of octo's. that's it. I would take it to a authorized poseidon tech and ask him to take a look at it and see what it would cost to rebuild it. I have seen someone drop over $200 on service because of multiple problems in the reg. However if you can get away with paying less than an arm and a leg, your reg will be on par with the German navy's current.

Hi gwharris,

I'm a Poseidon Odin fan myself, no experience with the Cyclon.....I love my Odins, but parts/service can add up if a reg needs a fair amount of work...the only way to answer your question is take it to a Poseidon dealer and get an estimate.....the good news the Cyclon has changed little, if any, over the years, so parts shouldn't be an issue. I agree with rescuediver009, assuming the unit hasn't been abused, and only needs the 'soft' parts replaced (o rings/diaphrams/etc.) , I could see you spending as much as $200 to get it dive-ready.

Another question only you can answer is how happy we're you with your 'old' Cyclon? If you haven't dove in 20 years, update your Cyclon, and then get to dive a more modern regulator, there's a chance you'll be upset that you spent money on the Cyclon, you might feel it breathes like crap in comparison to a new regulator.

The good news is for probably, at worst, you will have a functioning, at least adequate, divable regulator, even if it doesn't end up being as nice as a new one.....if you are fortunate (and since I've never owned a Cyclon it's hard for me to say) it might still have performance competitive with a new regulator......but that's a gamble.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom