Renting vs. buying tank for tropical dive trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN:
Maybe if I were able to dive more frequently, but... Woody

Any reason why you can't go to the Y or other public pool and do skin-dive laps? It will do wonders.

Pete

$200 is a good price for a lp faber cylinder. just a few things to consider though. make sure that the $200 includes the valve. also some shops will discount tanks that they have had quite a while because they are almost out of hydro. if the tank needs to be hydroed then you might be paying more to ship the cylinder and have it hydroed. just a few questions to ask the shop before buying the cylinder. Happy diving.

WOODMAN:
I wish it were that easy. I am a big guy, and I have tried every breath control technique known to man, and the consensus of several divemasters and instructors is that I should just bite it and go with bigger tanks. A 100 cf tank still will not let me match my wife's performance with a standard 80, and it gets old being the first ones out of the water on every dive. Maybe if I were able to dive more frequently, but... Woody

A bit offtopic, but still going to the root of the problem. I see you have over 100 dives so yeah, unless you have some sort of really bad equipment config there probably isn't much that can be done for your SAC rate. Unless, you perhaps lack aerobic fitness. Then I can see swimming laps, cycling or running as helping your body be more efficient with oxygen, and then your SAC rate will decrease.

As far as buying a tank, if you think you want to take it back with you, sure why not, then you have a tank for local diving too.

Just an update... After much research, I found a shop in Miami who will rent me the same tank I was considering buying (with all the attendant shipping hassles and such) for $50 for a week. Seeing as how I am a card carrying WWW, and that I gave up on local diving many years ago, there is no real reason now to own this tank and try to maintain it and ship it around. Although it sure was hard trying to find someone who rents big tanks down there. Everyone said "there is no market for this..." Hmmm. Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom