Renting Tanks...Which One?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I hope to rent some gear and dive with some of you FWB/Destin folks soon. The questions is, what type/size of tanks should I rent from the LDS? I know what I will be getting for BC etc but not sure what to ask for when it comes to tanks? Any suggestions?

Tanks in Advance (Sorry, couldn't resist that one)

They probably don't have a wide selection of rental tanks, I wouldn't worry about it. You are probably going to get an al 80. They might have a few steels in rental though. Not a big decision overall.

Brent

When we dive the beaches around here, I think everyone uses 80s.

The most common tank you'll find to rent is the AL-80. that will account for 90% of the tank rentals at most shops.

next you'll see a few random AL63's that are typically used for women and children who don't need as much air capacity and like a lighter weight tank.

After that you see single steel tanks. Typically these are 80 to 120 cf of air capacity. At most shops this is a "speciality tank" and is often not rented or not even included in the list of rental items. Often they are high pressure tanks and require DIN regulator connections, which is not typical for rental regulators.

Since you're a new diver, most likely you'll work your way up to deeper diving (which requires bigger tanks), so the standard issue Aluminum 80 will suit you fine, especially for Jetty dives. As you look around you'll find that 95% of the people use this tank.

-mike

mike_s:
The most common tank you'll find to rent is the AL-80. that will account for 90% of the tank rentals at most shops. so the standard issue Aluminum 80 will suit you fine, especially for Jetty dives. As you look around you'll find that 95% of the people use this tank.-mike

Okay, thanks to all for the info. At this point I didn't want to assume anything. Also, if they asked me something at the dive shop I didn't want to stand there with a blank look on my face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom