rented out of date tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmw625:
Bob3 stated

Down here in the US a hydro is needed only if the bottle is used in interstate transport.

Are you sure of that?

Scuba tanks are also covered under OSHA, CFR, and HAZMAT, not just under DOT.

Hazmat are DOT regs which are found in the CFR. OSHA regulates workplace safety.

I would want to construct an explosion-safe containment for the fill tub.
Allow me to assist in the thread hijack; this is an area where I have some experience thanks to my rich uncle with a very large yact club. :wink:
We used containment appliances when testing rocket motor igniters, explosive seperation blocks, and other little gadgets that would sometimes "go boom" while being tested. The containers were round, with a bottom duct pointing at a blowout panel on the wall of the shop.
We should be able to fix you up with a suitable gizmo for under a grand, including the appropriate carbonated beverages. :crafty:

TX101:
I know cylinders have gone through cars, etc. but car body panels are actually very thin steel (like 3-5mm). 1 inch plate is what, 24.5mm? I think the walls of the cylinders themselves are no more than 10mm (for steel - more for ally).

Just for technical digestion: the average US auto body panel is more like 0.8-1.1mm thick, with 1.5mm thick parts being considered heavy stock. Crude calculations on a LP steel tank (wt. in lbs/(dia. X 3.14 x LGTH X .283)) yields an approx. thickness of .2"/5mm. Sounds kind of thin but thats what the numbers show.

Bob3:
Yep, the "in commerce" part is where folks get away with overfilling their tanks, etc.
As long as its not a commercial entity, the hazmat rules do not (for the most part) apply to the private citizen.
I think they could figure out a way to nail you on the "maintenance" part of paragraph 1c if you were transporting compressed gas in a tank out of certification or overpressurized. I sure would not like to test that.

TX101:
Well, you could probably work it out if you knew the calculations..

but I would have thought 1 inch plate would be more than enough to stop a cylinder. And welded properly, welds should be stronger than the original material - although getting good penetration on 1 inch plate is gonna need a HUGE welder.

I know cylinders have gone through cars, etc. but car body panels are actually very thin steel (like 3-5mm). 1 inch plate is what, 24.5mm? I think the walls of the cylinders themselves are no more than 10mm (for steel - more for ally).
I would go for a double wall container with sand between the walls.

That would be quite a bit cheaper and much easier to move if the need arose.

yknot:
Just for technical digestion: the average US auto body panel is more like 0.8-1.1mm thick, with 1.5mm thick parts being considered heavy stock. Crude calculations on a LP steel tank (wt. in lbs/(dia. X 3.14 x LGTH X .283)) yields an approx. thickness of .2"/5mm. Sounds kind of thin but thats what the numbers show.

by gum you're right!

steel cylinder are 4-5mm thick (wall) Aluminium cylinders are 11mm thick. I've got a .pdf here with the info...

I remember being surprised..

Don Burke:
I would go for a double wall container with sand between the walls.

That would be quite a bit cheaper and much easier to move if the need arose.
Move?
I've been in this freaking condo for 10 years. I'm over 40.
My next house purchase will be my last house purchase... especially with property prices in California even slamming the "little guy" with capital gains.

Hmm... now that I think of it, a buried bunker may not be such a bad idea.
"Honey, go move the Koi, I'm ready to mix some gas" :D

Bob3:
We should be able to fix you up with a suitable gizmo for under a grand, including the appropriate carbonated beverages. :crafty:
I knew you'd come up with something :bang:

RichLockyer:
Move?
I've been in this freaking condo for 10 years. I'm over 40.
My next house purchase will be my last house purchase... especially with property prices in California even slamming the "little guy" with capital gains.
Someone is going to have to move it eventually.

If you plan to will the house to someone you hate, we are having a different discussion. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom