Rental 100's ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
Buffa - after you get comfortable in the water, you might need to consider an independent doubles rig. The aluminum 80 is an almost universal tank in resort destinations - they probably look like toys on you.
There are some liveaboards that have steel tanks, but I have yet to find a land-based resort op with anything but AL 80's. I'm sure they're out there, but it's not the norm.
Since you're relatively new at this scoober stuff, I'd suggest finding an instructor up there who knows about independent doubles diving and do some face-to-face about what your requirements are - who ever figured Colorado to have the most divers per capita of all 50 states?
Also, I sure hope you're in good shape - I'd hate to rescue someone as big as you. I had to pull a big 'un like you out of the surf on the Banzai Pipeline once, and it damn near killed me.

That to dive independent doubles while on vacation what one does is bring along the tank bands, and maniford, etc., and then get two AL80's?

If one can't find 100's on vacation, I'd think that doubles would be even more difficult.

buffa2:
I am newly certified and am a definite air hog !! (6'7" and 300 #'s) My wife and I recently got Nitrox certified also, and I am wondering if anybody has come across dive shops in the Caribbean, Mexico, or anywhere else that rents 100's with Nitrox fills ?
If so, how much would they run and do you think it would be worth the added expense? Thanks a lot for all your input !!!:D

I rented some Steel 100's/Nitrox when diving Jupiter, FL. As it turns out, I likley could have done the dives on 80's, but it was VERY nice not to have to worry about running low on air before hitting max allowed BT.

You need to contact the resorts. While many DiveOps may not have 100's lying around, some LDS's do rent bigger tanks.

As for cost, I think that Nitrox AL80's were $12 a tank, and the 100's were $16 a tank.

Concetrate on slowing down and your air consumption will probably improve. You'll probably start to sink when you slow down (which is often why people kick alot). Once you get better at hovering most of this will occur naturally. I've taken short video clips of other divers swimming in the water and they were shocked by how fast those fins were working. After that they automatically slow down.

Cardio also helps. If you don't do much now start walking, biking or some other regular cardio. It's good for you anyway.

Most of us started out with this to some extent. More air is just a bandaid. Treat the cause first. Then you can really enjoy the bigger tank.

RonFrank:
That to dive independent doubles while on vacation what one does is bring along the tank bands, and maniford, etc., and then get two AL80's?
Independent doubles presupposes the use of a backplate; the nylon bands and mounting hardware for the tanks don't take up much space at all. There is no additional manifold - just the requirement to have two regulators and SPG's. Some regs allow remounting the second stage so it comes over your left shoulder.
Again, this is a specialized type of rig and would require practice, debugging, and experience before the trip. Every tourist op I've dealt with would have no problem sending an extra tank on the boat for a client.
Now I have to clarify something here - there is a lot of good advice about improving air consumption, but Buffa here is a little off the scale respiration-wise. In the diving industry, the technical term for someone of the Buffa's size is "Big Guy" with a seven letter modifier sandwiched in between there. With a body mass that large, he needs more air than mere mortals like most of us - the lungs in someone oversized like that have a much bigger internal volume, so no matter how comfortable he is in the water, each breath just moves a lot more gas in and out. Diving with a 100 is not really going to help here - that is why the suggestion for independent doubles. One thing for sure, the weight and number of whatever tanks that are used is not going to be a factor.

Tom Winters:
Independent doubles presupposes the use of a backplate; the nylon bands and mounting hardware for the tanks don't take up much space at all. There is no additional manifold - just the requirement to have two regulators and SPG's. Some regs allow remounting the second stage so it comes over your left shoulder.
Again, this is a specialized type of rig and would require practice, debugging, and experience before the trip. Every tourist op I've dealt with would have no problem sending an extra tank on the boat for a client.

I was not aware of what the term independent doubles ment. Makes sense now.

Buffa, I am glad to see a fello "big guy" doing what most people don't think we can (or should) do. I am 6' 9" and 340 lbs so I know what you are going through in terms of air consumption. Dont worry, it will get better but as a larger guy you will use more than those around you, at least that is the case with me after about three years of diving. I usually try to rent 120s when I travel, and sometimes still have to breath off the DMs tank for a few minutes. One thing to think about is buying your tank and traveling with it. Its a bit of a hassle but you will know you have one, or two tanks to use. I am going to COZ next week and was able to find 120s for an extra $10 a day.

Something else to think about is to "sling" a second bottle. Its like haveing indipendent doubles except you are clipping one to your side rather than modifying your BC configuration and its easier to get a second al80. Again, something to think about.

Good luck and enjoy!

Buffa, if you get back to Cozumel, check out Aldora Divers. They provide 100's and 120's for the heavy breathers (Nitrox as well).

But, what will help the most is to dive, dive, dive. I'm 250# 6'2" and have an RMV of .63 avg. The more you do dive, the less gas you need.

Back
Top Bottom