Rental 100's ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buffa2

Reaction score
I am newly certified and am a definite air hog !! (6'7" and 300 #'s) My wife and I recently got Nitrox certified also, and I am wondering if anybody has come across dive shops in the Caribbean, Mexico, or anywhere else that rents 100's with Nitrox fills ?
If so, how much would they run and do you think it would be worth the added expense? Thanks a lot for all your input !!!:D

Buffa - after you get comfortable in the water, you might need to consider an independent doubles rig. The aluminum 80 is an almost universal tank in resort destinations - they probably look like toys on you.
There are some liveaboards that have steel tanks, but I have yet to find a land-based resort op with anything but AL 80's. I'm sure they're out there, but it's not the norm.
Since you're relatively new at this scoober stuff, I'd suggest finding an instructor up there who knows about independent doubles diving and do some face-to-face about what your requirements are - who ever figured Colorado to have the most divers per capita of all 50 states?
Also, I sure hope you're in good shape - I'd hate to rescue someone as big as you. I had to pull a big 'un like you out of the surf on the Banzai Pipeline once, and it damn near killed me.

Tom-
Thanks for the reply. We were in Coz in August and I asked around and got the same answer, but I thought that maybe it was just because the shop we dove with chose not to carry anything like that. The doubles thing is something that I've definitely thought about, but I think I need to get a little more experience under my belt. I appreciate all the suggestions. Oh, and by the way, my wife is my buddy (5'6" 145), but for some strange reason, all the dive masters keep a pretty good eye on me !

They are available in Hawaii at least on Maui. The charge was the same as an 80 but I don't know what the price was for a nitrox fill.

I can echo the independant doubles advice - I've enjoyed diving with such. You can easily double up two 63's or 50's as an alternative to two 80's as well. The UK dive magazine had an article reviewing the Apeks Quantum, using one air tank and one nitrox tank as independant doubles - it gave me food for thought.

That being said, there are numerous land-based operators we've used that have larger tanks available.

When we were in Cozumel in February 2000, aluminum 100's were available with Nitrox from Scuba-Du - I know because I rented them. Maybe they no longer offer this option - it's been a few years.

We're going to Saba in a few weeks and will be diving with Sea Saba, who list an additional $5 surcharge for 100 ft3 tanks rented. I've put in a reservation for these.

Golden Rock on Statia has also informed us they have rental 100's available. Same reservation.

Protech in Belize is another such option if I remember correctly.

I think Divetech in Grand Cayman still has single 100's available for rental.

There are a number of Florida Keys operators who have larger tanks for rent as well.

For my petite wife, I also ask for availability of 63's or 50's for her. The standard aluminum 80 is OK for her, but she enjoys the dive better with the smaller tanks.

Hope this helps - and enjoy!

Island Divers in Honolulu, Hawaii had 100 Alum. for rent with Nitrox. Think it worked out to be $15 per dive on top the normal price (which incl. tanks {air} and wts.)

Thanks one and all for the replys. Since I have never dove with 100's, I obviously don't know how much air they put in them, and whether it would give me that much more bottom time. Any ideas?

In Cozumel-Aldora Divers uses steel 120s I beleive..its been a few years but Im pretty sure. Thats about the only place I know of...

I was in the same boat..nervous about ruining everyones elses dives..and it just made it worse,and I sucked even MORE air!!BTW Im a big guy too 6'4" 275.
With practice and comfort you will improve greatly..I can often outlast my little whimpy buddies now!
Just keep at it and relax...your consumption will improve!

The record that I saw was a customer who sucked an AL80 dry in 12 minutes diving in 30'. Someone else took him down while I was briefing the other people diving. As I was leaning over the gunwale, I saw something HUGE go by the hull - I damn near jumped out of my skin until I realized it was just Leon out of air. He was a skip tracer from LA and looked like using doors to go into buildings was not necessarily his preferred way of ingress.

Liquid Blue in Cozumel uses steel 120's and 100's. I'm not sure about nitrox. I think Christi from Blue XT-Sea has Al-100's too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom