Rent your pool for 2 hours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to use someone's heated pool for about two hours. Compensation gladly provided. The only thing you have to do is reply to this message and bring us to the pool when we get there. We know what we are doing and will leave it as we find it if not better.

My wife and I are going on a warm water dive trip in the near future.

We just want to test our newly serviced regs and it would be nice to dive in the gear we are going to bring to make sure all is ok, so we need a heated pool. We need about two hours or less and we're out of there.

The only warm water pool access I have is taking a refresher class, which is a bit overkill and expensive for what I really just need to do.

We live south of San Jose and work in Santa Clara but appreciate all offers.

Thanks for your help.

note to self: summer trips!

Last edited:
Did you actually ask your LDS if you could use their pool just to play in for a while?

We let former students come back and use the pool any time there's room. Yours might do the same.

Terry

I'm looking to use someone's heated pool for about two hours. Compensation gladly provided. The only thing you have to do is reply to this message and bring us to the pool when we get there. We know what we are doing and will leave it as we find it if not better.

My wife and I are going on a warm water dive trip in the near future.

We just want to test our newly serviced regs and it would be nice to dive in the gear we are going to bring to make sure all is ok, so we need a heated pool. We need about two hours or less and we're out of there.

The only warm water pool access I have is taking a refresher class, which is a bit overkill and expensive for what I really just need to do.

We live south of San Jose and work in Santa Clara but appreciate all offers.

Thanks for your help.

note to self: summer trips!

Did you actually ask your LDS if you could use their pool just to play in for a while?

We let former students come back and use the pool any time there's room. Yours might do the same.

Terry

In the Land of the Lawsuit? Insurance requirements here can get so bad, that:

1) They don't permit such use use without qualified supervision. (as such, incurring expense)

2) They don't permit it at all.

-Nomad

Most of the shops I know of will let prior students jump into the pool when the OW pool sessions are scheduled.... Sign a waiver and pay for a tank and you're in....

As far as the lawsuits... They certified you to be a diver right? Why would you need supervision?

If all else fails, read Chucks FAQ's on cold water diving. Then rent some exposure protection, tank, and weights, head to the Breakwater. If your regulator works in cold water it will work in warm water.

In the Land of the Lawsuit? Insurance requirements here can get so bad, that:
1) They don't permit such use use without qualified supervision. (as such, incurring expense)

2) They don't permit it at all.
-Nomad

Did you actually ask and they said "No."?

Shops have insurance and if there's a class going on, will have staff there. Nobody is likely to let you use the pool unsupervised, but if there's a class and they won't let you use the pool, you need to find a nicer shop.

Terry

Yup, I asked. If they are going to provide supervision, then they charge the same rate as a private tune up course,about $80.00 a person.

The reasoning being ( and I can see it) is that if they need to assign an instructor to supervise a self tune up, might as well charge the same rate. Time and resources are money.

I've asked around, most insurance policies that cover pools for commercial use, requires certified supervision. If not a lifeguard, then an instructor. Costs money. Either the instructor gets called in, or you task an employee (and pay them) and they are diverted from other things they could be doing, in effect, conducting a private class.

In fact, most pools that are not held privately, that is, not by a homeowner, specifically prohibit scuba in any form in their pools because of liability.

I'm not banging at dive shops, it's the insurance companies requirements. If you insurance is canceled, or you operate outside parameters and something occurs. you are gone, out of business, done.

If the shop wants to put themselves out there, or provide supervision and call it the cost of doing business, great. I do understand the other end though. It's not really about "nice" it's just protecting your interests.

Me, I'd just do a tuneup. Can't hurt, might help, and the cost difference should be nominal.

The Y used to be really good about this sort of thing, but they've dropped their dive cert program.

Nomad

Wallin's in San Carlos rented me their pool to check out my rebreather.

Yep, Wallins in San Carlos has an on-site (9ft I think) pool which they happy rent out when no classes are being held. $20 per person per hour, just sign a waiver, and you're free to use any of the equipment in the pool room (wetsuits, air + nitrox tanks, weights).

Back
Top Bottom