Rent underwater camera on cruise dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going on a cruise in February to Belize, GC and Cozumel. I have a Sony F707 digital camera but no housing. I don't really want to buy a housing since this will be my first warm water dive and I may not go back for a while.

Do any of the dive operators rent digital cameras/housings/lights for underwater photography? If so, how much do they charge and who rents them?

Thanks!

Brian

Some dive ops will have associated photo operations, but what is available for rent varies greatly from place to place. Lower end cameras are easier to find. Film is more commonly available, but some places will have digital. If they do, they may not have many so you might want to try reserving in advance.

On Grand Cayman, Cathy Church Photo at Sunset House is probably your best bet. Or possibly DiveTech.

Thanks

I may need to look into housings. I have a Sony DSC-F707. My wife has the Sony DSC-P9. I'll see if anybody has a relatively inexpensive housing for either of the cameras. If they don't, I may take my chances renting.

Why not rent a rig for the week from a stateside camera op? That way you'll know how to work it and you'll know you'll have it.

If this is your first warm water dive (I think that's what you were saying) you may do well to skip the camera all together and concentrate on bouyancy (which will be different) and learning where all of these critters live.

Possibly the dive op will have a vidseo shooter or pro along- probably cheaper to hire him for the dive than to rent a video camera- always better results, too!

Depending on how many times you would rent down there, renting here for the whole week and taking it with you may be cheaper and is more of a sure thing. Also more convienient when you're not staying in one place, just more stuff to pack. I'd suggest http://www.uwphoto.com but they're in NH, across the country for you. I assume they'd ship but that adds to the bill.

My husband's the photographer, and even with hundreds of warm water dives and the camera (Nikonos V) he's had for years, he will sometimes skip the camera on the first dive of a trip. Good to watch out for task-loading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom