Removing name painted on a steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My new PST tanks have the previous owner's name painted on near the bottom with black paint. Any tips on how I should go about removing this, and what to use to paint/decal my own name on them?

MEK or lacquer thinner to remove the paint if it is really necessary. I can't see any harm in leaving it. Put your name on near the top using a permanent felt marker pen.

Actually it would be easier and probably better for you to just change your name.

Uncle Pug:
MEK or lacquer thinner to remove the paint if it is really necessary. I can't see any harm in leaving it. Put your name on near the top using a permanent felt marker pen.

Actually it would be easier and probably better for you to just change your name.
No diving for me til late March.. gotta do *something* with those tanks while I heal up :wink:

What's MEK?

jonnythan:
No diving for me til late March.. gotta do *something* with those tanks while I heal up :wink:

What's MEK?

You'll find it in the paint dept. in any Lowe's or Home Depot.

I had to get a name off a tank that had been written on with one of those permanent pens for metal - nothing in the garage worked. Nail polish remover sure did though.

I'm with Pug. Call on the Ketone sisters, Methyl and Ethyl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom