Removing my 6' long hose for open rec diving- ideal length for open water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a couple of pics I pulled from my archives. How do the hose lengths look?

I would shorten the backup hose to streamline and reduce chance of snagging.

Notice the sharp bend in your primary hose. I use a 90* elbow. It will make the hose lay right on the right side of your neck if you keep a long hose. If you switch to a 40", it will allow the hose to route under your armpit and rise up to meet the primary 2nd stage.

Yea... and that snorkel.. get a pocket foldable snorkel if you think you might need one.

...nice turtle!

It looks like your inflator hose could be shorter too. What's that loop behind the right side of your head?

Last edited:
knife/scissors replaces can light body to hold the hose.....

Thanks for the input fellas. Snorkel is rarely used, but in hawaii at that location you have to kick out aways. Shore diving.....

Without the canister, I remember needing to tuck the hose into my waist strap. Maybe I need to find the 5 footer in my gear box to use without the canister.

Were you tucking the 5' under the canister? I use a 5' and canister don't have a problem but I don't ever tuck it anywhere.

Its just my opinion but keep the long hose as it is. think about why you use the long hose and then think about what it provides when you have to share air. You can give them you reg and not be with in their immediate reach if they spaz out. You can with a calm recipient maintain trim and surface together. At the surface you can still both have a rig to suck on in a reasonable sea state. Its benefits are not limited to and do not end with a cave situation with one diver behind the other.

yeah maybe I should keep the rig as is. I fine tuned it 10 years ago, but just jumping back into the sport I have to rethink everything.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom