Removing drysuit pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!

Contributor
Reaction score
My drysuit has some zipper pockets that are slowly getting more and more tough to open, so I want to replace them with velcro pockets before I realize one day that I can't get into them anymore.

They are glued on with Aquaseal. Anyone have some tips for getting them off?

Trilam. Bare ATR Light.

heat gun ~ soften glue ~ pull

A hair dryer on high might work if you don't have a heat gun. (Don't use a heat gun on high or you might end up melting your pockets and/or suit.)

pants!:
Trilam. Bare ATR Light.
Pug is right. With that type of material, alot of times it is better turn the suit inside out, heat the area where the pocket is and pull at the pocket from the outside. This way you will be able to see if you are getting the suit to hot. I've seen a lot of melted suits from guys not using heat guns properly. You also may just want to try to pick and peal using limited heat on the out side.

If it were me... and it will be as soon as I get around to it... I would be applying the heat to the pocket rather than the suit itself. Once you get a corner up... which in my case is the present condition of my pockets... direct the heat under the pocket... carefully... and pull.

Sounds good.. will try it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

I'm glad I found this thread, I want to replace my pockets as well.. Before putting the new pocket on, do I need to clean off all the old glue, or do I just put another layer of glue on the old stuff and put the new pocket on?

I have a BARE ATR HD Trilam suit.

Would I use Aquaseal to glue pockets on as well?

Thanks!

Yes... try to remove as much old glue as you can. Clean the area well. I would clean with M.E.K. after peeling off any old glue I could but take care... M.E.K. is the bad stuff.

Then use PB-300 glue as follows:

Place pocket on drysuit in proper position and mask around it with tape. Remove pocket and apply PB-300 to both pocket and drysuit. Apply PB-300 in a 1"~1.5" area around the outside perimeter of the pocket. Do not apply glue in the center area... leave that free or the pocket corners will peel back right away.

Apply several coats allowing the glue to dry between coats. Place drysuit on hard surface, remove tape from drysuit and position pocket. Once in position you can activate the glue two different ways (it won't stick like contact adhesive... this is good as it allows you to position the pocket carefully.)

1) Lift a corner of the pocket and lightly brush a portion of the exposed glue surfaces (both pocket and suit) with M.E.K. and then push the pocket back into place and roll across it with a laminate roller or other such tool. Continue around the perimeter of the pocket until done.

or (how I prefer to do it)

2) Lift a corner of the pocket and heat the area with a heat gun until the glue shines then push the pocket back down and smack it with a dead blow hammer (or roll with a roller if you are not inclined to violence.) Continue around perimeter until done.

Back
Top Bottom